Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2 Questions

Hello all,

I have a 1120 Marantz console amp that I bought in 1975. I'm using it in my home studio to power a pair of JBL 4408's. I been considering upgrading my monitor system. Is my present system worth keeping...or should I spend the money to upgrade...and if so what would I need to spend to hear an improvment?

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello again....I forgot to include my second question. Here goes. I am considering another upgrade...from my blackface ADAT to an XT-20 or an M-20. Is the additional expense of the M-20 worth the money in sound quality over the XT-20.

Thanks again

Originally posted by jonmmartin:

Hello again....I forgot to include my second question. Here goes. I am considering another upgrade...from my blackface ADAT to an XT-20 or an M-20. Is the additional expense of the M-20 worth the money in sound quality over the XT-20.

Thanks again

The M-20 is a better designed machine, specially with OS 3.0 but it will depend a lot on your other gear (mics, mixer, processing) the purity of the achieved sound.

On the other hand, are you sure you want to keep working on SVHS tape yet?

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

If you are happy with the results on yoru curent monitoring system, why not keep it as a B system..ya know, as in A/B testing. there are many very nice units designed for switching multiple speaker sets, such as the Samson C-Control.

As far as upgrading your digital tape, I'd advise checking inot multitrack HDD instead. Digital tape has about reached it's extinction point, and th multitrack HD recorder is the prefered method for those who previously were ADAT. You can get into 24 track @24 bit 48k for $1000, and the quality and ease of operation, ability to fly tracks in/out of DAWs for major editing/mixing, and the low cost and reusability of the medium (standard IDE drives) make them extremely attractive.

We've been working on a Mackie HDR 24/96 Pro (with a pair of MDR 24/96 machines for remote recording) for almost 4 yrs now and absolutely love them.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Archived