Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitarists Rejoice - Session Organ EKX for EZKeys 2 (Finally)

T-minus 12 days until I'm irrelevant as a session Hammond player . . . Haha!

SessionOrganEKX.jpg.3bd12abcf0d96b9463845bbe2601e8d9.jpg

Seriously, though - Users have been screaming for this since the first version of EZKeys, and the day has finally come. Some of the demos sound pretty good (the gospel ones sound great!), but others are more lackluster.

I'm not sure that this can compete sonically with B-3X or Waterfall. Also, I wonder how it will handle evolving drawbar setting changes, etc.?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 2/1/2024 at 11:33 AM, davinwv said:

Seriously, though - Users have been screaming for this since the first version of EZKeys, and the day has finally come. Some of the demos sound pretty good (the gospel ones sound great!), but others are more lackluster.

I'm not sure that this can compete sonically with B-3X or Waterfall. Also, I wonder how it will handle evolving drawbar setting changes, etc.?

This will totally ROCK. I'm excited to Jam on it because this is the Pipe Organ's Little Brother.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 11:33 AM, davinwv said:

The sounds are recorded w/ a real organ & if you turn up the action sound volume knobs up all the way (after it's released) it'll sound authentic

14 hours ago, Fleer said:

Finally!

It says that they've recorded the sounds w/ a real Hammond B3

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 5:33 PM, davinwv said:

Yet why should only guitarists rejoice?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, davinwv said:

I think non-keyboardists have been asking for this more than players that actually know how to play B3.

Here’s a keyboard player that doesn’t know how to play B3 :)

1 hour ago, Oscar Stern said:

I'm planning on using this EKX for interesting song arrangements.

So what will you use for boring song arrangements? 🤪

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I couldn't find any audio demos, just a JPEG photo preview of the upcoming product. Are people judging by TT reputation or are there demos somewhere?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

4 hours ago, davinwv said:

There is a Listen link at the bottom of this page:

https://www.toontrack.com/new-year-new-gear/

Must be a browser issue. On macOS, Opera is my preferred browser. I'll open up Firefox or (egads!) Chrome after dinner and see if the link shows up. I NEVER use Safari after identifying it a few years ago as the source of a data breach.

Now there are quite a few audio demos up, and it sounds good, if a bit aggressive (probably their intent). Reminds me a bit of Korg CX-3 overall.

https://www.toontrack.com/new-year-new-gear/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=102 2 New Year New Gear Up to 40 off Session Organ EKX out Feb 13&utm_content=102 2 New Year New Gear Up to 40 off Session Organ EKX out Feb 13+CID_091a1fd53ee8dc9587e573a5ff0ca23a&utm_source=Campaign Monitor&utm_term=COMING UP#coming-up

Not sure if these are the same audio demos that didn't work for me previously or if they are new ones.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JamPro said:

I found a bunch of YT videos simply by searching YT - here:

It sounds pretty cool via mp3.   But I'm sticking with my XKc .

I don't think it is on the same level sonically as B-3X and Waterfall, but those don't have the part generation/ MIDI library(ies) of the EKX. The EKX also isn't as tweakable.

Simply put, the EKX isn't for B3 players, it is for people who can't play B3, but want organ in their music - it's not for "us," it is for "them".

So let me get this right: this is a virtual Hammond instrument (in the vein of B3X and others), with a built-in "MIDI pack" of predefined phrases? And it's that second thing that makes it "not for keyboard players"?

Presumably us keyboardists could use the virtual instrument without the phrase pack?

Cheers, Mike.

21 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

So let me get this right: this is a virtual Hammond instrument (in the vein of B3X and others), with a built-in "MIDI pack" of predefined phrases? And it's that second thing that makes it "not for keyboard players"?

Presumably us keyboardists could use the virtual instrument without the phrase pack?

Cheers, Mike.

IMO - essentially, yes. That and the lack of tweakability compared to the other options.

Guitarists have been screaming for this EKX for years. In the same way that we've been screaming for things like the NI Session Guitarist series and the UJam guitars.

I don't need the part generation / MIDI features, I can play my own Hammond parts (and my remote tracking clients pay me the medium bucks to do so).

• Like 1

I hear again and again from guitarist, drummers, bass players, etc. how difficult it is to find a willing and able keyboard player.  So yeah, I imagine a lot of home studio enthusiasts will embrace this product.  I have no doubt some producers  will use it to make "commercial musical content", and may even find its way on stage as backing tracks.

Note to all: AI is coming, and it doesn't need to spend hours on scales and arpeggios.

1 hour ago, JamPro said:

Yes.  I use a crude AI to create drum and percussion tracks for my home studio projects (via JamStix software).  That tech has been available for a decade now.

Yes - JamStix and Logic's Drummer come to mind, but this is probably next-level type stuff (harmonic/melodic content versus just drum hits).