Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha YC and iPad integration

Hi,

As part of a rig streamlining process, I'm thinking about building something based around a weighted midi controller (bottom tier), Yamaha YC61 (upper tier) and taking advantage of the YC's integration with iOS to include an ipad for pads, synth etc.

I understand that the YC's piano engine (for example) could be controlled by the midi controller and its organ engine by the YC61.

I also understand that an iPad could be integrated, played from the YC keyboard and its audio returning into the internal audio interface of the YC.

My question is whether one could control the iPad from the lower keyboard, with the iPad audio still returning to the YC. Essentially, using the YC as a thru midi device, but with the audio from the iPad coming into the YC vis usb.

For example, lower controller controls piano engine on YC and synth pad from the iPad. YC keyboard controls organ engine on YC. 

I suspect the answer is yes but I'd love confirmation before purchasing!

I haven’t tried this in the direction you’re describing, but I use a YC73 as bottom board to play parts on a MODX and I can confirm that it’s at least possible to do this in the other direction using MODX as the audio interface and using an iPad app like Midiflow to re-route MIDI from YC to the iOS app of your choice as a virtual MIDI port.   Once you start re-routing MIDI using apps like that you can play all kinds of (nerdy) MIDI tricks (that nobody else cares about but that are really exciting to you when you get them working, streamlining your rig and bolstering your sense of self-worth while simultaneously increasing your social isolation from non-keyboardists). 

• Like 2
"Have a good time ... all the time. That's my philosophy, Marty."

You can do this by turning the soft midi thru on. I think it's midi on, USB off but you can play around with the midi settings.

However you can't then control the ipad from the YC, it's one or the other. Annoying... I suggested an update to Yamaha... Who knows if they ever add such a feature. 

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Thanks both.

Paul, that's a really helpful piece of info. Possibly not a deal-breaker, although it would require changing the midi settings between songs. I don't need to control the iPad from both keyboards at the same time - it's one or the other, depending on the song. Maybe not a huge hassle if it was just a quick menu item/change...

Viv, thanks for your feedback. Your format is also one I'm considering, with YC73 on the bottom rather than a 61.

I use a cascade approach where the controller plays more of the YC sounds so the YC benefits from the additional sounds of the iPad. So, bottom controller is playing YC pianos with a string pad, YC itself is playing organ on bottom three octaves and I have the right of the keyboard to play a few stacked lead sounds from the iPad. 
Saves messing about with changing midi settings and don’t forget the YC’s have the Master Keyboard mode so four zones can be assigned as a mixture of internal and external sound sources.

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

8 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

I use a cascade approach where the controller plays more of the YC sounds so the YC benefits from the additional sounds of the iPad. So, bottom controller is playing YC pianos with a string pad, YC itself is playing organ on bottom three octaves and I have the right of the keyboard to play a few stacked lead sounds from the iPad. 
Saves messing about with changing midi settings and don’t forget the YC’s have the Master Keyboard mode so four zones can be assigned as a mixture of internal and external sound sources.

Thanks Paul. That's VERY similar to how I would be running the majority of the sets I play.  The only challenge (which it seems I can get around, with the approach you suggested earlier) is the stuff where I'm layering piano with evolving pads/textures. I was hoping to source these from the iPad (currently using a Mainstage rig) as I believe the synth sounds on the YC aren't great? (I may be mistaken on this....I'm trying one out this week).

Have a look at Soundmondo, I found some cool pads and synth set ups there which inspired me to make some of my own. A few pads have a fair bit going on in terms of motion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul Woodward said:

Have a look at Soundmondo, I found some cool pads and synth set ups there which inspired me to make some of my own. A few pads have a fair bit going on in terms of motion.

I'll do that! Thanks for your input...much appreciated.

• Like 1

I can recommend YC73 as a bottom board, the keybed is pretty versatile and the controllers are handy.  Having the duplicate XLR Outputs on the YC73 (or YC88) is also nice. And the MIDI setup is pretty flexible, allowing me to easily play the YC organ from my top board  while controlling drawbars, etc from the YC. Really, I would say the 73 is the way to go unless you absolutely need the waterfall keys on the YC61 or can’t handle the idea of managing drawbars on your lower board while playing the YC organ from your top board.   Also, if you’re at all considering the type of MIDI setting switching between songs that you reference above, I strongly recommend checking out Midiflow.  I use it to have essentially a different MIDI setup for controllers and channels for every song, with those MIDI “presets” called up by program changes. It’s very powerful.   

• Like 2
"Have a good time ... all the time. That's my philosophy, Marty."

6 minutes ago, Viv Savage said:

I can recommend YC73 as a bottom board, the keybed is pretty versatile and the controllers are handy.  Having the duplicate XLR Outputs on the YC73 (or YC88) is also nice. And the MIDI setup is pretty flexible, allowing me to easily play the YC organ from my top board  while controlling drawbars, etc from the YC. Really, I would say the 73 is the way to go unless you absolutely need the waterfall keys on the YC61 or can’t handle the idea of managing drawbars on your lower board while playing the YC organ from your top board. 

My lightweight rig is a Roland A800 and YC61. The YC has different CC’s for upper and lower drawbars so I can either control the YC drawbars from the Roland or, even better, have it as a dual manual setup with two sets of drawbars. Would work well with a YC73 as a bottom board 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 6:07 PM, Paul Woodward said:

You can do this by turning the soft midi thru on. I think it's midi on, USB off but you can play around with the midi settings.

However you can't then control the ipad from the YC, it's one or the other. Annoying... I suggested an update to Yamaha... Who knows if they ever add such a feature. 

I've had my YC61 for just over a week. Absolutely delighted. Also figured out a way to control ipad simultaneously from YC and bottom board using AUM, (so bottom board can play pianoteq and pad from Ipad, and YC can play synth on ipad), so that's that issue sorted!

• Like 2