Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg waxes poetic about Chopin with new piano, pleyeling along as it were

https://kraftmusic.com/blogs/articles/meet-the-new-korg-poetry-digital-piano

Count on Korg to come out of left field now and then.

• Like 2

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Pianos during the Chopin era had narrower octaves and very light/nimble action. RH3 is the opposite of that. But maybe they lightened it and made the keys narrower? Otherwise why just go to great lengths to sample that Pleyel which I’m certain will sound pretty odd to unprepared ears, while keeping a crappy digital action. By crappy I mean all digital actions, not just RH3. But RH3 is not the first choice of classical pianists anyway. Nor is Korg a brand known for good digital pianos that are suitable for demanding classical/jazz pianists. 

But let’s wait and see. 

• Like 1

Marketing is a hell of a thing.

From the retailer’s “article”:

Poetry is simply beautiful! Korg's "Poetic Brown" wood-grain exterior features gold-adorned pedals and accents that contribute to its luxurious appearance.

“Poetic Brown”!?!? If that isn’t lifted from a dictionary definition of “polish a turd” I’ll eat my hat. (Not knocking the instrument, just the team that came up with “Poetic Brown” as an official name for the finish).

• Like 1

I think its very well focused on its intended players. The "Italian Concert Grand" is the main sound; the Pleyel is a historical oddity. That's an interesting feature, but not at all a bad move, considering Chopin's broad catalog and popularity.

I've never knowingly laid hands to the RH3 action and the feel decides most of an instrument's final grade. In my experience, digital piano keyboards are unforgivably mushy. Casio Privias sound lovely, but the key action is on Seconal. Roland is a major offender overall, yet an early FP-4 (?) model I played was snappy and inviting. Yamaha has been the leader over time, for me. As with their acoustics, their digitals are bright and punchy. That's part of why Pianoteq works for me.

I'm lucky I can gauge such things after all of the rock & roll concerts I've attended. I can hear both crotales and my bass bin easily. OTOH, its selective hysterical deafness that keeps me from hearing politicians, commercials and a lot of pop stars on the ol' glass teat. 📺🤪

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

4 hours ago, BluMunk said:

Marketing is a hell of a thing.

From the retailer’s “article”:

Poetry is simply beautiful! Korg's "Poetic Brown" wood-grain exterior features gold-adorned pedals and accents that contribute to its luxurious appearance.

“Poetic Brown”!?!? If that isn’t lifted from a dictionary definition of “polish a turd” I’ll eat my hat. (Not knocking the instrument, just the team that came up with “Poetic Brown” as an official name for the finish).

Well… it’s no Harmonius Mustard…

😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

50 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

How does it keep you from playing Beethoven?  Is it like YouTube's copy protection or just wont play the notes?

We'll have to ask Schroeder.

• Haha 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Had a special permission in the 1990s to play a Pleyel recently restored by an expert tech and owned by a certain famous pianist that shall remain anonymous. I thought it had an OK 18xx era sound but the action was near unplayable with the keys in the 70 g range. So my experience of a Pleyel piano is the very opposite of what is often mentioned. No, they don't have a light action at all. Oh and if this Korg piano was "created for lovers of Chopin", in that era pianos didn't have a middle sostenuto pedal.  :wave:

53 minutes ago, K K said:

the action was near unplayable with the keys in the 70 g range

Must have been a late 19th century piano. The 1840s pianos really had light actions and they were also rather quiet because they were played in salons. It was with the Lisztomania and the ever growing needs for the pianos to be louder and suitable for larger and larger concert halls that piano builders started making them larger, having cast iron frames with longer strings under increasing tension that required heavier hammers, etc and AFAIK that trend reached its peak in the late 19th and early 20th century, when they also started adding counterweights to compensate the overly heavy action but that increased the inertia, so it’s a vicious circle…

• Like 1

Yep, the Volume Wars didn't start with rock music... and let's not mention the banjo while we're at it!

• Haha 1

I know my Aunties square piano was anything but loud and if you did play it in order to get a decent amount of sound out of it you risked it going out of tune!, certainly quite the volume difference between the square piano an her baby grand (which was also fairly old).

Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e