Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Korg MicroKorg (2024)

Overhauled with new vocal processing, new keybed, color screen, and other improvements. Looks like a load of fun.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/microkorg2/

• Like 5

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Longest selling synth in history gets another upgrade.

Korg is milking the microKORG even in the face of competition from mini-key synths with deeper features and/or sound shaping capabilities.😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I’d never purchase a synth that has a selector with music styles I don’t care about. But even if I cared, it would still be such a silly idea. Reminds me of those old keyboards with Foxtrot, Polka, Rhumba and other grandpa-invites-grandma styles. Keyboards should be absolute and abstract. I’ll decide what a sound is for. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

microKorg is still top 5 on Reverb's daily sales tally for Korg.  Only knocked down to #2 because of what appears to be clearance sales of the ARP 2600M

https://reverb.com/guide/best-selling-korg-synthesizers

No wonder Korg wants to keep milking that cash cow.  😀   Why would they kill the goose that keeps laying golden eggs for them?

The UI looks nicely improved over the OG's.  

2 hours ago, CyberGene said:

I’d never purchase a synth that has a selector with music styles I don’t care about. But even if I cared, it would still be such a silly idea. Reminds me of those old keyboards with Foxtrot, Polka, Rhumba and other grandpa-invites-grandma styles. Keyboards should be absolute and abstract. I’ll decide what a sound is for. 

Well sound-wise that pretty much describes a bunch of workstations I've bought... whole categories get ignored on any of them.   But I get your meaning, those categories are way more abstracted in their description and don't try to suggest how to use the sounds :)    There would definitely be a part of me that would love using some "Rhumba" sound inappropriately!

I'd normally have absolutely zero interest in this, as I already am more than covered for synths and don't use hardware at home.  It has one draw--vocoder.  If the Hydrasynth had one, I'd have bought one years ago.  I'll have to listen to demos of this to see what I think of this new vocal processing, and to listen to the other sounds as relatively old as they are (never have played or heard the original).   As it is, I just got a used ElectroHarmonix v256 pedal to see how I get on with it, I'd prefer to have the vocoder in a keyboard but this might do the trick. 

Korg offers a software MicroKORG that banishes the limitations of the hardware. The vocoder is a nice improvement here, but if you just like the base engine, that's an easier way to get it. I think the popularity derives from the simplicity more than any fancy power-user features would. Its a great VA and the DWGS waves give it a lot of added presence. Its kind of the Volkswagen Beetle of synths, simple but hardy. Its on the far opposite end from debates about software grand pianos.

• Like 1

"Stay tuned for a new band: Out Of Sync."
     ~ "The Vet Life"

4 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Those categories are simply how Korg categorized their sample presets, to make it easier for someone to find the kind of sound they may be looking for. But every program location in the MK is rewritable, you can put any sound wherever you want, and all it takes is a printer (or labelmaker) to relabel those categories to the categories you'd like them to be.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

6 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Those categories are simply how Korg categorized their sample presets, to make it easier for someone to find the kind of sound they may be looking for

Well, I guess so, they sell tons of these, so maybe they know what they’re doing. Personally I’d prefer categories like pads, leads, basses, etc. which are universal and timeless, rather than style names that can be out of fashion in 10 years. I’m pretty sure for a youngster the “rock” label sounds like “rhumba” to me 😀

I'm so excited for this thing, and to hear the latest generation of Korg VA, after all these years of absence. If you consider the Kronos etc to be derivative of Oasys in 05, that means their last VA was Radias/derivatives and possibly OG KingKorg!

Hmm, by that do you mean that this MicroKorg has some new VA tech in it?  I saw where the vocal processing was improving, but assumed otherwise it would mostly be the same.

After listening to some older MK vids, the sounds are pretty nice and would fit with what I do live.  It's not nearly as dated as almost all the music I play live anyway :) 

Got G.A.S. for a guitar that is right around this same price though....I'll probably stick to my "no more new keyboards until I sell at least one" guns.