Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My computer will blow all of yours to hell !!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by The Studio Pet-Rock:

Originally posted by KHAN:

Thanks for the offer.

But my computer is not gay.

I take it you're not running Windows then? :D
Windows. Like father, like son.

:D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Soundscape Studios.:

Thanks for the offer.

Implying, of course that you are?
I'm straight. And I must admit that your curiosity is somewhat disconcerting.
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Thanks for the offer.

You sir are correct. :)
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Anldn should have some comments on this one....

Well,if the upcoming Sonar 4 supports Quad Procs,and "I" win the lottery instead you,then I get to have the "gay" computer! :D
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Thanks for the offer.

Implying, of course that you are?
I'm straight. And I must admit that your curiosity is somewhat disconcerting.
who is this........................................con??

That thing will probably need more fans than a hovercraft and be twice as loud.

Plan on giving it it's own room, far away from your speakers.

I think we've gone past the point of needing more processing power by now anyway. Unless you work for NASA or something.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

I think we've gone past the point of needing more processing power by now anyway. Unless you work for NASA or something.

More horsepower is always welcomed. At least by me. :) More CPU power means more simultaneous plug ins, more simultaneous softsynths, lower latency - even while running a bunch of stuff, smoother operation - a better computing "experience" all the way around. And the computers run smoothly, it's one less major thing you have to worry about in the session - you can think more about music.

And if you increase the CPU capabilities - and this applies to Macs just as much as PC's - you increase the power that software developers have available to them. Which means there's the potential for BETTER sounding and more powerful software tools.

While I wouldn't toss that quad Opteron if someone decided to give it to me, it's probably way more than what I'd need - given today's current software. However, tomorrow's software is going to be a lot more capable and require a lot more CPU juice, and that level of performance will be available from more realistically "affordable" systems. At that point, heck yeah, I'm there. Just like my Mac owning friends will be lining up for the G6's. :)

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and in some respects I agree with gtrmac. I just built a internet box on a Via 266 chipset with an XP 2100 and it's bloody fast. I could easily halve the CPU speed and still be satisfied.

My DAW however doubles as a video and graphics machine. For audio it does great. Unless I was mixing down some epic twenty minute song there is no task I would consider walking away and doing something else while the task completes.

But at this point video and sometimes graphics editing still needs more power than what we have available at Newegg. I fear it's going to be awhile before I consider video rendering or mpeg2 encoding a "quick" job. I'm talking like 3-5 years. A lifetime in terms of hardware evolution.

Then again, maybe if I'm pumping four Opterons it would be pretty quick.

Originally posted by gtrmac:

...I think we've gone past the point of needing more processing power by now anyway...

In support of Phil's assertations; Let's not forget this supports up to four processors. Just because the average user has no current need for this much processor power doesn't mean hardware/software developers won't advance technology in the near future to take full advantage of the extra abilities 4 processors will provide.

So you start with 1 or 2 processors and upgrade as needed. :thu: How many times have we heard people say they built a computer for advanced applications such as graphics or audio/video, only to find they were limited right from the start or only a few months later because their needs outstripped the computer's capabilities, with little or no room for improvement without scrapping a sizeable portion of the system?

This can only be a good thing if it works well. And yes, I would expect a power user to have an isolated machine room. You're spoiled, gtrmac. Time was that every professional studio had a separate machine room to eliminate extraneous noise from the control room. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

p.s...

With multiple processors, you need an OS and applications that will understand and exploit that sort of hardware. Otherwise you're wasting it.

kthxbaibai

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by phaeton:

p.s...

With multiple processors, you need an OS and applications that will understand and exploit that sort of hardware. Otherwise you're wasting it.

Win 2003 server supports 4 procs,and I think the possibly the latest nuendo.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

I'm happy with my DIY amd PC....

Dude, 4x optrns are cooL!!!!

I would not consider a PC like that a Personal Comp. I don't think a regular home user "needs" something like that.

I think it is more suited for pro applications, comercial studios, ones that have a room just for the various PC's. I have never mixed anything beside cake mix but I'll bet it would be really cool to use a lot of plugins at once and seeing the CPU meter not sweating it.

Maybe in a few years, all Daw users have or will be able to use something like this, but for now, I think we are pretty happy with what we can so cheaply do with the current of the shelf parts and in our bedrooms.

Still, I enjoy seeing state of the art tech in it's development and professional facilities putting them to good use.

Win 2003 server supports 4 procs,and I think the possibly the latest nuendo.

Excellent!

Although some might argue that Win2K+3 isn't particularly a home OS product :P

(Thenagain some might also say multi-processor machines aren't either, so bleh)

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

But I could do my word processing FOUR TIMES AS FAST!!!!

Hell, I could even type with BOTH index fingers. :D

Seriously, tho', I just built a new box based on the Intel D925X with a 3G CPU, a couple gigs of RAM and 2 160G SATA drives, hoping to get some music and video processing speed (but I've already had to add another 250G drive for the video, and will need one more if the power supply can handle it.)

There is NO SUCH THING as too much horsepower in music or video processing. Only too small projects...

Dasher

Dasher - don't ask me about those other reindeer, all I can tell you is Comet's in the sink!

Originally posted by phaeton:

Nah, they use macs.

Actually, they probably use SUNs.

The SUN, while a third generation star, is around 6 billion years old, and its operating system is based on nuclear fusion. MACs, however, have evolved beyond three generations, are considerably younger than 6 billion years old, and are based on Unix not fusion. Hence the preference among NASA types for MACs over SUNs.
Dooby Dooby Doo

If you met a really macho guy, would his nickname more likely be "Mac" or "Microsoft"?

When REAL MEN choose an operating system, would they choose one with a strong, no nonsense name like "OSX", something powerful and deadly like "Panther" or "Jaguar", or would they choose something fragile and delicate ("Windows")?

Real men aren't "microsoft" and they don't do "windows."

:D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Thanks for the offer.

This is like a right wing tactic, isn't it?

Archived