Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My computer will blow all of yours to hell !!

Originally posted by Dan South:

If you met a really macho guy, would his nickname more likely be "Mac" or "Microsoft"?

Then REAL MEN choose an operating system, would they choose one with a strong, no nonsense name like "OSX", something powerful and deadly like "Panther" or "Tiger", or would they choose something fragile and delicate "Windows."

Real men aren't "microsoft" and they don't do "windows."

:D

Sexism and preference-prejudice aside -- if you really care about your computing you build your own computer. Only pussies (m/f) hand over important decisions to others. And only a fool puts all his trust in one big corporation.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you met a really macho guy, would his nickname more likely be "Mac" or "Microsoft"?

Then REAL MEN choose an operating system, would they choose one with a strong, no nonsense name like "OSX", something powerful and deadly like "Panther" or "Tiger", or would they choose something fragile and delicate "Windows."

Real men aren't "microsoft" and they don't do "windows." :D

Real man don't do computer at all !
-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Real men roll their own boxes, which at the momement is limited to PC's :D . As soon as Apple decides to go where the real money is (software) then you can bet yer buns that I'll be glad to use a Mac OS. Until then, I'm stuck with the mark of the beast.

Dylan

If you'd been using the Mac OS you would have had to wait until just recently (Jaguar [to a certain extent] and Panther) to have an OS with dedicated Midi, multitrack audio, and plug-in layers.

Don't get me wrong, I've cussed out Windows as much or more than most. (I've been using PC's since 1985, and my Windows experience started with installing Windows II (yeah, two) on the machine of a friend of a friend. My use of Windows started with the benighted 3.0. I hated 3.1 for all but the last few months I used it... maybe that's why '95 and later have seemed like such a huge improvement).

But I was running an 8 in/8 out multitrack PC rig starting in 1996. Some of my Mac music pals absolutely refused to believe I was recording audio (let alone 8 channels of it simultaneously) on my PC at first. I had to remind them that I'd been engineering in commercial studios since the early 80's, used to patch synths with real patch cables and program sequencers with real control voltages -- and certainly knew the difference between audio and MIDI. And, even after all that, they'd make fun of my "overblown adding machine." Putzes. (My old pals, that is.)

Originally posted by Dylan PDX:

Real men roll their own boxes, which at the momement is limited to PC's :D . As soon as Apple decides to go where the real money is (software) then you can bet yer buns that I'll be glad to use a Mac OS. Until then, I'm stuck with the mark of the beast.
Only pansies would roll their own hardware and then corrupt it with a mega-corporate operating system. Real men who roll their own install LINUX.

;)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Dylan

Me neither!

I'm happy to say that the Mac these days is by virtually all accounts a great platform for audio and if there are still some growing pains in the area of plug-in standards and compatabilities just give it time. Having these standards in place should mean a golden age of Mac music software and interoperability.

Being able to use the same plug ins in all your audio apps is a tremendous capability and cuts down on learning curves and expenses. And when you find favorite plug ins, it's great to turn around and use them in your multi-tracker or loop tracker or mastering sofware or v-synth rack or...

And on the Linux, thing, absolutely. I've got my eye on Linux, both for business and, maybe just maybe, for audio.

A while back someone posted a screenshot of a command line Linux multitracker . [sorry, that's an article. Lost the screenshot links. ] Talk about verbose. You never really realize how much status reportage there is with a multitracker until you see it spilling out in console mode...

But, excitingly, I recently came across screen shots of a GUI based Linux multi-tracker... but now I've lost them, too! I'm such a loser. (See, my buddy's right... Windows is so easy to use it rots your brain.) And I couldn't find it googling cursorily just now but I did find this resource, which is probably familiar to Linux users:

http://www.linuxmusician.com/index.php?Itemid=1

Originally posted by big K:

hey did you guy see that news thingy , no how they are going to port VST algoitym to run on the video card as a DSP ?

The idea isn't new,the UAD-1 card is actually a video card that runs VST plugs off it's DSP.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by big K:

hey did you guy see that news thingy , no how they are going to port VST algoitym to run on the video card as a DSP ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The idea isn't new,the UAD-1 card is actually a video card that runs VST plugs off it's DSP.

I know nothing, hence me asking...

So when will I be able to put to good use that super duper Video Card I got for runnin these 2d graphics in the DAW? Seems like a great idea. It is horsepower I never use. The bugs are gonna be a killer thou!

Originally posted by TeleCarlos:

So when will I be able to put to good use that super duper Video Card I got for runnin these 2d graphics in the DAW? Seems like a great idea. It is horsepower I never use. The bugs are gonna be a killer thou!

Not to mention that the plugs will have to be written or adapted for that particular DSP so don't coun't on using your exsisting plugs.These type of NVidea graphics cards are in the $400.00 price range,but meanwhile the UAD and Powercore are already availible.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Archived