Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi OT: Maestro

I watched the movie and really enjoyed it.

I have always been interested in Leonard Bernstein: back in the 70s/80s I enjoyed an LP my parents had of Isaac Stern playing Bartok's Violin Concerto #2 with the NY Philharmonic, and an LP containing Firebird Suite by the NY Philharmonic, with both conducted by Bernstein. And in the 80s or 90s I was in one of the major record stores in Manhattan (Tower Records?) looking through classical LPs with Bernstein's name on the cover (probably either Bartok or Stravinsky stuff), and an employee shared his opinion that only Bernstein could make 20th century classical sound like music. I had already noticed I really liked Bernstein-conducted versions of Bartok and Stravinsky pieces much more than those conducted by others, so his statement resonated with me.

I have tremendous respect for what Cooper has done in his career, for me the highlights are Silver Linings Playbook, American Sniper, A Star Is Born and now Maestro.

I would not have predicted such a path for Cooper just by watching him in his earlier movies like "The Hangover", when it seemed he was just a "pretty boy".