Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kemper Profiler Player

ElmerJFudd

spacer.png

$698, expression pedal sold separately.  

KEMPER PROFILER Player (kemper-amps.com)

https://www.kemper-amps.com/products/us/profiler-player.html

X - 2 pre and 2 post amp stack

FX 1 and FX 2 Control and switch

High Power Headphone Output

Loads Cabinet IRs

Master Volume

Bluetooth and WiFi Connectivity (Audio streaming for Spotify, etc. & ext. Control/Editing)

Connects to RigManager remote app on all relevant platforms

Supports KEMPER Kone Technology for running speaker Imprints with KEMPER Power Kabinets

Audio Interface 4/4 via USB

MIDI via USB - Supports typical USB2MIDI cables

Three  separate Output Groups: XLR FOH/ Studio Out, Independent 2 x 1/4" TSR Jack Stereo Monitor Out, Stereo Headphone Out

USB B/A for external connections (Computer, USB Stick)

9V Power Supply

50 Rigs on board plus access to thousands of rigs from the Factory Content/ Rig Exchange etc.

Editor apps for iOS, iPadOS, Android, Kindle Fire, MacOS, Windows

• Like 3

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 2 weeks later...

Judging by the scuttlebutt in many forums, this is one heck of a controversial product. That said, demand is clearly much greater than Kemper expected. People are excited.

I’m so interested that I ordered the KPP and a Mission Engineering expression pedal for wah and volume. It will likely replace my Tonex and running through the effects of my Virus TI2.

• Like 2

An acoustically decent home studio full of hand-picked gear that I love to play and record with!

• 3 weeks later...

After a few days playing with this unit, my reactions:

- Great build quality. Feels “pro” where a Tonex doesn’t for example. 
- Sounds fantastic

- Onboard controls and indicators are pretty intuitive

- Control via mobile app and Mac/PC works well

- Understandable that existing Kemper owners are frustrated that 3/4 of Kemper’s effects are missing, along with the Morph function for transitioning instantly between two “Rigs” at the push of a foot switch or gradually with the swing of an expression pedal

- Waiting to see if Kemper enables the two missing combined switch controls. With only 3 foot switches, use of the app or a MIDI pedal seems a requirement for anyone trying to simulate a loaded pedalboard. 

Just like my Virus TI2 exhibits Cristoph Kemper’s inventiveness and deep understanding of what musicians need, this unit is built for players. 

I achieved good guitar tones in short order, and that without using any included Rigs or amp Profiles.

I am pleased, but await the inevitable software updates. 

• Like 4

An acoustically decent home studio full of hand-picked gear that I love to play and record with!

14 hours ago, DovJ said:

- Understandable that existing Kemper owners are frustrated that 3/4 of Kemper’s effects are missing, along with the Morph function for transitioning instantly between two “Rigs” at the push of a foot switch or gradually with the swing of an expression pedal

- Waiting to see if Kemper enables the two missing combined switch controls. With only 3 foot switches, use of the app or a MIDI pedal seems a requirement for anyone trying to simulate a loaded pedalboard. 

Thanks for your hands-on input, DovJ!

My interest would primarily be to use this as an 'amp and cab substitute'. with various favorite 'real-live' analog and digital pedals and units in front of and after it; the way I currently enjoy my Strymon Iridium.

The "Morph" function would be HIGHLYHIGHLY desirable to me in that context, though!

• Like 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

On 1/18/2024 at 10:48 AM, Caevan O’Shite said:

Thanks for your hands-on input, DovJ!

My interest would primarily be to use this as an 'amp and cab substitute'. with various favorite 'real-live' analog and digital pedals and units in front of and after it; the way I currently enjoy my Strymon Iridium.

The "Morph" function would be HIGHLYHIGHLY desirable to me in that context, though!

I have never owned an Iridium, so take this with a grain of salt. I did own a Mobius for a time, and absolutely loved the sound, build quality and extensive MIDI control. I believe you will find the Player is at a similar level of build to Strymon gear and is similarly equipped from a MIDI perspective. 

The Player would play well in a pedal board in place of your Iridium, especially if you’re using MIDI to control the Iridium and other pedals. 

With a MIDI pedal controller, you can make up for many of the limitations of the current Player OS, including the missing Morph and combo foot switches.  Also, as your Iridium has unbalanced outputs, the Player’s unbalanced stereo outputs should not be a problem at all. 

Also, you may find that some of the Player’s effects augment the physical pedals you have. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DovJ said:

...especially if you’re using MIDI to control the Iridium and other pedals.  With a MIDI pedal controller, you can make up for many of the limitations of the current Player OS, including the missing Morph and combo foot switches.

THAT- the reinstated MORPH function- would be an OUTSTANDING improvement!

I have not yet delved into MIDI control. Yet.

On the one hand, I have been so pleased with the Iridium's "Punch"/Marshall and "Chime"/Vox Models and IR's, that I have been more likely to purchase another, additional Iridium than to go searching for another such Modeler/IR device. On the other, that MORPH feature definitely has a special allure for me...

7 hours ago, DovJ said:

Also, as your Iridium has unbalanced outputs, the Player’s unbalanced stereo outputs should not be a problem at all. 

The Kemper PP has a single, mono XLR Output, am I correct? Seems odd, being as there are Left and Right 1/4" Unbalanced Outputs...  It also seems odd that there's a single, mono Input, as well... ?

As for 1/4" Unbalanced outputs, it is VERY well worthwhile to use a passive, transformer-coupled Direct Box to convert its 1/4" unbalanced Inputs to balanced XLR Outputs. 

I can HIGHLY recommend the inexpensive ART DUALZDirect 2-channel Passive DI. It would do you VERY well; you'd have to spend A LOT MORE to get anything appreciably better.

F5Z0utf.jpg

• Like 1

BTW, a MIDI pedal won’t reproduce Morph. It would make it possible to quickly switch Rigs, but it would not smoothly transition between them. 

Yes, it is a single, mono XLR. 

The Art DI looks like a nice piece of kit!

I own a Mackie stereo DI and a Walrus Audio Canvas Stereo. I have not done any sound comparisons, but I would assume the Mackie sounds similar to the Art (very similar price point). 

I mention the Canvas because it uniquely is both a DI and a Line Isolator. When in LI mode, it outputs balanced line-level signal. This is useful when going into a mixer or audio interface featuring line inputs; the difference in level is very significant. Why bring down your modeler’s output to mic level, only to raise it back up with a mic preamp? It’s likely this will produce a lower noise floor. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DovJ said:

BTW, a MIDI pedal won’t reproduce Morph. It would make it possible to quickly switch Rigs, but it would not smoothly transition between them. 

That's unfortunate...

6 hours ago, DovJ said:

The Art DI looks like a nice piece of kit!

Especially for the price- it's inexpensive. Pretty compact, too- downright small even.

6 hours ago, DovJ said:

own a Mackie stereo DI and a Walrus Audio Canvas Stereo. I have not done any sound comparisons, but I would assume the Mackie sounds similar to the Art (very similar price point). 

I'd say you're all set there, then.

I'd expect the ART and Mackie units to pretty much be sonically indistinguishable.

• Like 1