Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil K2600RS repair / Sample RAM Failure

My good old K2600RS has been acting up. It isn't something I use a lot but after so many years working with Kurzweil, this instrument not only has some sentimental value and has a lot of my custom sounds. 

So the sample RAM was no longer recognized. I swapped the RAM out a couple times and had the exact problem. It was completely functional otherwise. I contacted everyone I knew and searched around the web without any success. I finally stumbled upon a used motherboard on Reverb hoping this would solve my issues but upon installing this new motherboard it wouldn't even boot, put my motherboard back in, no problem except the same sample RAM issue above. I was luckily able to return the motherboard.

I had searched over and over but never found this thread until now - I stumbled upon an old thread on Gearspace where someone mentions the exact same symptoms and found the root of the problem in the power supply. So, I found this guy on eBay that will refurbish the power supply for $90.  That has been shipped off and I'm anxiously waiting its return so I can put it back together.  

While the K2600RS was all open, I've gone ahead and replaced the internal hard drive and floppy with a SCSI SD-Card emulator.  

I'll report back here once I get the power supply is back and installed, fingers crossed.

• Like 2

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Power supplies fail, as most old electronics, due to faulty electrolytic capacitors. I guess the refurbishing will be replacing capacitors with new ones.

If the power supply rails are noisy/bad filtered, that may hamper digital communication, which may explain the fault.

Please, keep us updated!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the power supply back, refurbished and installed it back in the K26000RS. Unfortunately no change. Sample RAM will not show up. I've got 4 different RAM sticks of various sizes to try, two of them are new and the other two are what I've had in the unit for years. 

So other than finding another motherboard, I'm at a loss as to how to fix it. 

The SCSI SD-card emulator seems to work perfectly, of course I can't load any samples. :classic_sad:

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

On 12/29/2023 at 1:23 AM, Mike Martin said:

Got the power supply back, refurbished and installed it back in the K26000RS. Unfortunately no change. Sample RAM will not show up. I've got 4 different RAM sticks of various sizes to try, two of them are new and the other two are what I've had in the unit for years. 

So other than finding another motherboard, I'm at a loss as to how to fix it. 

The SCSI SD-card emulator seems to work perfectly, of course I can't load any samples. :classic_sad:

I am sure you has already speak with Dave Weiser...

I will be very happy to help you and to swap ram(i have one in my K2661) to see if mine works with your 2600RS(and vice versa) but unfortunately i have an ocean and one sea(Atlantic and mediterranean) to give it to you...:)

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

Yes, I've spoken with Dave Weiser and everyone I know from my previous days at Kurzweil. I've swapped a lot of RAM to test this. Perhaps I'll buy one more set but in the meantime I'll keep watching for a dented up K2600 to acquire another motherboard.

• Like 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

• 3 months later...

Hi Mike, is this the one you repaired as mentioned the Elgato as remote control thread? If so, what was the fix?

I still have a Keyboard version that I want to fix. If I do good progress I may start a thread, but so far it's looking a bit bleak: there was a lot of dust, what looked like traces of spilt liquid inside as well as rust in a few areas.

Kurzweil K2500XS + KDFX, Roland: JX-3P, JX-8P, Korg: Polysix, DW-8000, Alesis Micron, DIY Analogue Modular