Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help with voice STAT! PLEASE!

I'm sure this question has been posed before, but I don't have time to research it. I've got a job in less than four hours, and my voice is half blown out from last night. Any quick tips on something I can do to get rid of the hoarseness and be able to sing today? Thanks!

My gear: http://fendercaster.freeservers.com/guit3.html

If you own two Lexus cars, do you have Lexi?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Fendercaster:

Thanks for the replies, guys. The heat and humidity won't be a problem, we're playing outside, and the heat index is supposed to be 100+. Yucch!

Thanks again, Scott......

Singing right up my alley...Lots of hydration, Lound monitors, intentional relaxation while singing, tea and honey, tune down a 1/2 step FOR SURE, DO NOT TALK DURING BREAKS, alter melodies to avoid high notes....Good luck.

A little after the fact, but...

Warm, not hot tea. Honey. Room temperature water, no ice. No alcohol.

Throat coat tea during the day but not right before the show, it helps heal but the coat lingers. Slippery elm losenges help some people but not everyone. Don't talk much during the day, but make sure you warm up your vocal chords before you sing.

Thanks again for your help, I made it through the day okay. I took it easy as much as possible, and let the bass player do most of the high harmonies. The day went well, it was my company's family picnic. 98 degrees outside, no cover, at least there was a pretty good breeze blowing, that helped. This was the first time the four of us had played together, no rehearsal, and it went surprisingly well. I think we have a band! Everyone agreed it was good, and have committed to making this go. We recorded the show, and after we mix it down, I think we can make a decent demo cd. Time to get to work!

Thanks again, Scott....

My gear: http://fendercaster.freeservers.com/guit3.html

If you own two Lexus cars, do you have Lexi?

• 4 weeks later...

Water and sleep.

Avoid menthol cough drops. Sugar-free hard candies are better. Keeps you salivating. Vitamin C in there is okay, too.

Gargle with warm salt water a hour or more before the gig. Talk as little as possible before, during, and after. Drink lots of water. Get rest. Drink lots of water.

Sleep.

And be more careful with that voice next time! You've got the only one you'll ever get!

Yours,

Amado

p.s. drink lots of water, I've heard that that helps. And ONE, count 'em, ONE shot of Petron tequila, right before you sing. And drink lots of water.

Archived