Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Montage M Controller Assignments?

I'm sure I'm missing something simple here... where do I find what the assignable knobs are actually controlling when they are only labeled "Assigned" in many patches. Other patches clearly indicate what is assigned to each knob. Sorry, It's been a while since I've had a workstation synth, Yamaha OS and Superknob is unique.

Thx!

IMG_4159.jpeg

IMG_4158.jpeg

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

If you go into DAW control, select the mode you want to control, then press edit, the cc numbers will show up for each slider/knob and you can change it to whatever you want. As far as showing on the sub display, not sure yet. I suppose if you're in DAW control mode you can use that display to show what they are set to as you're using them I suppose.

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

Thx, (finally) no issues on the DAW side.  I'm trying to figure out standalone performance controller assignments.

• Like 1

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Sorry, I was half a sleep when I read your question 🫤

I've not delved far into this myself yet, however from what I can tell. When controlling parameters in say, the ANx, the assignments don't seem to use cc's just the analog parameter. But when an AWM is selected , like piano, and you get the assigned display on the sub, (like your screenshot), but can't see what it is assigned to...if you do a page jump to the main display you then get a menu, [control number] The cc's for the 8 knobs are selected there. The sliders seem to be just defaulted to part faders, and there's no editing of that it would seem.

It appears so deep, that all the menu diving is context sensitive, so hard to keep track of in a consistent manner while learning!

I hope this is closer to what you are looking for,

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

Thanks for the additional feedback. For the record, I think Roland does a better job of having product and feature specific videos on YouTube. I'd prefer to watch a video to reviewing the 4 different Yamaha Montage M manuals to perform controller assignments. Don't get me wrong, the Montage M is SO much better than I remember my 3 Motif's and Kronos but teeing up how to assign the new ribbon controller or PAT to a modulation destination without having to read a manual written by an engineer would be helpful. 

Using:

Sold/Traded:

On 12/6/2023 at 3:39 PM, Motif88 said:

Thanks for the additional feedback. For the record, I think Roland does a better job of having product and feature specific videos on YouTube. I'd prefer to watch a video to reviewing the 4 different Yamaha Montage M manuals to perform controller assignments. Don't get me wrong, the Montage M is SO much better than I remember my 3 Motif's and Kronos but teeing up how to assign the new ribbon controller or PAT to a modulation destination without having to read a manual written by an engineer would be helpful. 

I got you. Don't fret.  Help is on the way.    Lol.  Just keep asking questions like this so I can see what people are needing to know.  💪🏾💪🏾💪🏾

• Like 1

YouTube - My YouTube Channel (please subscribe for music tech info)

https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - majesticstudios_jld

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

Majestic Studios - Audio Recording & Mixing Engineer

I know I’m the Old Guy but…why can’t I just use the Montage M sliders to control each part’s volume? Yes, I know there are elements, inserts, ARPs, motion control and lions and tigers and bears, oh my!.

Everything seems to be assigned to control multiple parameters which is then tied to then tied to the SuperKnob….that’s great for some patches but, I just want to control the volume of the each of the parts visible on my screen via the damn sliders!

Having the sub display show that the “assigned” knobs are “assigned” without knowing what they control and the need to menu dive, kills any engagement, emotion and playability. hmm.. is this why the Nord Stage 4 was on my short list?

I’m might be missing the easy part, if so, please let me know.

Thank you!

IMG_4159.jpeg

Using:

Sold/Traded:

2 hours ago, Motif88 said:

Having the sub display show that the “assigned” knobs are “assigned” without knowing what they control and the need to menu dive, kills any engagement, emotion and playability. hmm.. is this why the Nord Stage 4 was on my short list?

I’m might be missing the easy part, if so, please let me know.

Sorry, if I'm not understanding what you're after, but is this what you're looking for when wanting to know what cc's the knobs are assigned to?

As I mentioned before, if you press the page jump when you have the sub showing my first pic, the main display will then give you the second pic, with left vertical menus, and the control number tab selects the page for cc's

I'm getting on in age too, so I empathize with the mental effort required to get the head around stuff these days too :)

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

I might add, that yes it may not be a direct way of seeing everything. I think it's the nature of the gear and it's powerful complexity. Maybe when the plugin comes out, we may get some direct access to parameters that otherwise require menu diving on the hardware? You could then have the relevant screens open on the plugin while playing with the programs etc on the synth.