Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Swap Keybed in Kurzweil PC3-76

Hello all,

I came across this thread over on the Nord forum and noticed that it looks like someone (possibly @erik_nie?) has successfully replaced the Fatar TP8 keybed in a Kurzweil PC3 variant with another model of Fatar keybed from a Studiologic controller.

Re: Nord Piano 4 "88 keys" chopped to "61 Keys"

by Eriknie » 20 Jul 2022, 09:27

Nice, I one replaced a none weighted keyboard in a Kurzweil PC3 with a weighted 76 keyboard from a Studiologic midicontroller. Lot's of work, but in the end a Unique Kurzweil.
In the end it is a matter of trust and endurance.
I always like these modifications!

As many of you may recall, few years ago I got a PC3-76 and it apparently sustained some damage in shipping or such, and now that I've finally gotten it back from the repair shop (where it sat for over two years and wasn't touched due to the owner's personal circumstances), I am trying my hand at fixing it up. In addition to replacing the pitch and mod pots, I need to replace the current TP8 keybed assembly - it seems to have issues with flexing despite the aluminum case being tightened properly and continues to have triggering issues with midi notes. Plus I've always disliked the feel and the lighter spring kit isn't available anymore. I'm thinking that since I'm going to have to go through that process, I had might as well swap it out with something I actually like playing.

Now, I realize this is a tall order - not exactly an everyday keys project. However, I am willing to invest a decent amount of time into this project - the PC4 is not going to be around much longer but I would like a source of the Kurzweil orchestral sounds. The PC3 is already disassembled since I need to replace the pitch/mod pots as well, so I figure I'd might as well try to fix everything in one go. Otherwise it's a boat anchor since I can't get much use out of it with its keybed issue and other problems, and it's not worth selling in its current condition.

Things I know so far:

- The PC3-76 has two wood bars underneath the keybed to raise it up. My understanding is that a taller keybed may work if that piece (just a bar of wood with some screw holes) is replaced or cut to size. I'm considering replacing those parts with metal bars to help with the flexing issue anyways.

- Length of the keybed may be a concern - I'm not sure what keybed is suitable for this, as that's not specified in the Nord forum post. FATAR is very sparse with available specifications. I know the TP/9 is shorter.

- I can source a 76-key Nord HP (TP/100) or a 76-key Nord HA (TP/40) - not cheap but I am willing to make the investment. The question is whether of those would even work. Obviously the TP/40 would be preferable.

Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Max

• Cool 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments