Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who knows latin?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TrancedelicBlues:

ixnay on the atlinlay

:mad::mad::mad:

Yoo don't party well. Just an observation ...

:(

No signature required.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Apud Rosa

(at, by, next to or in the presence of the roses).

I wouldn't take it for gospel... it's been years since I had Latin beaten into me by the good Sisters of St Louise and St Mary's.

I checked an English to Latin online converter and this is essentially correct except for "by" which would be "per"

at = apud, procul

English to Latin Translator

No signature required.

Fimus tauri

Tauri ... genitive (possessive) form of "taurus" or "bull". Tauri = "of the bull"

Fimus = Manure. Have no idea what the "vulgar slang" form was.

That's all I remember. :D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Actually, "rosis" is one correct answer. "Rosis" is either the dative or ablative case of "rosae", which is the nominative (plural) of "rosa," a rose.

The ablative case, all by itself, means "by (or) with (or) from ....a rose" when referring to a solitary rose, or in the plural, " by (or) with (or) from .....roses."

Damn, I KNEW I'd get to use this stuff one day. Never figured it'd be here, though :eek:

By the way, it's a bit hard to give an accurate translation, though, since the right answer is contextual...it's a bit like saying what comes after G# in a scale.....it all depends on which scale.

J. Eliot Howe (Chief Gear-Pimp)

Guitaravenue L.L.C.

Originally posted by cwfno:

I can do the sign of the cross in Latin. That's all I remember from my alter boy days.

A repressed memory is indeed a terrible thing to deal with :eek:

J. Eliot Howe (Chief Gear-Pimp)

Guitaravenue L.L.C.

Originally posted by Geetar:

Actually, "rosis" is one correct answer. "Rosis" is either the dative or ablative case of "rosae", which is the nominative (plural) of "rosa," a rose.

The ablative case, all by itself, means "by (or) with (or) from ....a rose" when referring to a solitary rose, or in the plural, " by (or) with (or) from .....roses."

Damn, I KNEW I'd get to use this stuff one day. Never figured it'd be here, though :eek:

By the way, it's a bit hard to give an accurate translation, though, since the right answer is contextual...it's a bit like saying what comes after G# in a scale.....it all depends on which scale.

So, "Per Rosea" and "Rosis" would both potentially be correct for "By the Roses"?

And thanks for the responses ..

No signature required.

Archived