Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dark Star (mysterious nocturnal grasslands of rural Kansas/Lockheed Lodestar)

53332108765_fa0c1ae833_b.jpg

Dark Star
~~~~~
Mysterious Lockheed Lodestar on some forbidden nocturnal grassland in Kansas. To create this night photo, I set the camera on a tripod. I opened the camera shutter for a long time. While the shutter was open, I used a handheld flashlight capable of producing different colors, illuminating the scene with warm white and red light. During the exposure, all the light I shined on the subject was cumulative. This process is called "light painting". Why? Because one uses the flashlight as a paint brush, "brushing" on light, not paint. Light painting to illuminate subjects is a beautiful, addictive art, as you can walk around the scene, deciding what to bring to light and what to keep in shadow. And it's more fun than AI-generated images.
~~~~~
For photos, books, workshops and more
~~~~~
(Plate 4848) Nikon D750/Rokinon 12mm f/2.8 fisheye lens. October 2023.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome image, Sir Ken.

Foliage grows so quickly here, it covers up everything. 

There was lots to see when I lived in Fresno but I gravitated to shooting dance and models.

In retrospect I would have done well to capture some of the detritus of civilization. 

So it goes...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

It's never too late to photograph the detritus of civilization. There's certainly some of that everywhere. I love that, unusual landscapes, and more.

I actually used to do a lot of travel photography and stuff before, but when I discovered night photography, that was it!!

Thanks!