Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is There Any Reason to Archive Vinyl at 24 bits Instead of 16?

11 minutes ago, Bill Heins said:

I haven't seen a 128bit Mp3 in years...it's usually at 320bit or 320bit VBR.

Unfortunately, 320 kbps is less prevalent than you might think. Spotify Free's web player is AAC 128 kbps, Premium (paid) is 256 kbps. For desktop, mobile, and tablet, the bit rate depends on your connection speed but tops out at 160 kbps for free. If you pay, it can be up to 320 kbps.

From Pandora's community manager: "For Pandora listeners using a computer, ad-supported Pandora is 64kbps AAC+, while Pandora Plus and Pandora Premium subscribers have the option of 192kbps. On Android and iOS devices, ad-supported listeners and Pandora Plus subscribers get anywhere from 24kbps to 64kbps in mono or stereo, depending on the phone, carrier, connection type and - in some cases - the user's settings. Only Pandora Premium subscribers can receive 192kbps on their iOS and Android devices. Most home-listening devices get 128kbps - whether the account is free or paid.

And don't forget...128 kbps stereo means only 64 kbps for each channel. That's why back in the days of slow internet and expensive storage, I made all my audio examples for the web, books, etc. in mono whenever possible. That way, it could be an actual 128 kbps.