Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do Elton John's Annoying Children Upset You When They Go On Obamacare?

Yeah, they adopted two. It reminds me of Dan Savage, a very savvy gay man who does a column called Savage Love. Its very open and frank about emotional and sexual conundrums people face, especially when younger. He's a lively, shameless speaker, too. He & his husband adopted a boy, so as he got to be around 14, Dan said he started thinking "Well, its about time to see which way he goes. Then the other shoe dropped, because I walked past his room and saw a Sports Illustrated poster featuring a hot young woman on the wall. I just laughed and thought Ooookay, there we go!"

I figure the only thing "worse" than gay parents is NONE. He said his son was making good grades and had a decent group of friends, so I guess they're getting it right. As the saying goes, children and pets can handle anything but your neglect or abuse. Funny how doing the opposite of those generally pays off well. You're halfway there if your daughter just stays off the stripper pole. "Its a father's #1 job to keep his daughter off the pole!" ~ Chris Rock

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

"Only thing 'worse' than gay parents..."? Did I really just read that on this forum? If either of my parents ended up going that way I'd be proud AF of them for honoring themselves, just like I'd hope my kids would be of me or their mom, just like I will be of them if that's their path. 

I'm hoping I misunderstood...?

• Like 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

44 minutes ago, Anderton said:

It's pretty much a disposable topic, nor do I have any idea of what it's referring to.

?

22 hours ago, Has Piano88 said:

There's a lot to unpack here, so please discuss. 

What did you have in mind when you wrote "a lot to unpack here"?

You did not say kids with wealthy parents going on Obamacare (political).

You said Elton John, of all people, who is well known as a piano player, singer, once close friends with Princess Diana and?

Just his kids going on Obamacare is not a lot to unpack.

7 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

... I thought he was a male human being, sort of...

1 hour ago, David Emm said:

I figure the only thing "worse" than gay parents is NONE.

2 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

This forum has an excellent moderator so we will wait and see what happens from his perspective.

As I have posted many times in the past, if the topic is of no interest to you, move on. 

Well, of course. People confuse "It has an interest to me but it's negative," with "This means nothing to me."

We all ignore dozens or hundreds of threads here every day because they have no interest to us. Entire forums even. That experiment has been done.

This forum has more than old, white, straight, dudes, and if we want it to keep existing after we all die we can make the mildest of noises about something offensive. You don't think any gay folks post here? Or folks whose parents or children are gay?

I'm comfortable having spoken up, just as I'm comfortable choosing for myself which threads or posts I respond to and which I don't.

• Love 2

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

42 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

Well, of course. People confuse "It has an interest to me but it's negative," with "This means nothing to me."

We all ignore dozens or hundreds of threads here every day because they have no interest to us. Entire forums even. That experiment has been done.

This forum has more than old, white, straight, dudes, and if we want it to keep existing after we all die we can make the mildest of noises about something offensive. You don't think any gay folks post here? Or folks whose parents or children are gay?

I'm comfortable having spoken up, just as I'm comfortable choosing for myself which threads or posts I respond to and which I don't.

To be completely honest, I have no idea who Elton John's children are or what they have done (or not done). 

Or, as John Prine once sang "Nothing but a big bunch of nothing."

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

4 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

Fortunately, I think so. I think the point was that if someone truly feels having gay parents is "bad," they should consider that having no parents is far worse.

I'll probably close this thread, but would like to move it in a fact-based direction before I do.

Increasingly, there seems to be little doubt that people don't "choose" to be gay. (Besides, why would anyone choose to be discriminated against, hated by a segment of the population, and in some states, be a criminal for being in love with someone?) In computer terms, sexuality appears encoded in ROM, not loaded in RAM. This is why it's not surprising that gay parents who adopt kids end up with straight kids, and straight parents have children (biological or adopted) who turn out to be gay. The percentage of children who are raised by gay parents and end up being gay is about the same percentage as gays in the general population.

I've always felt that best way for people to learn is by example. If someone grows up with parents who truly love each other, communicate well, and know how to respect each other and resolve conflicts, those lessons are crucial. They provide a valuable foundation, regardless of what path their child - adopted or biological - takes in life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anderton said:

Fortunately, I think so. I think the point was that if someone truly feels having gay parents is "bad," they should consider that having no parents is far worse.

I'll probably close this thread, but would like to move it in a fact-based direction before I do.

Increasingly, there seems to be little doubt that people don't "choose" to be gay. (Besides, why would anyone choose to be discriminated against, hated by a segment of the population, and in some states, be a criminal for being in love with someone?) In computer terms, sexuality appears encoded in ROM, not loaded in RAM. This is why it's not surprising that gay parents who adopt kids end up with straight kids, and straight parents have children (biological or adopted) who turn out to be gay. The percentage of children who are raised by gay parents and end up being gay is about the same percentage as gays in the general population.

I've always felt that best way for people to learn is by example. If someone grows up with parents who truly love each other, communicate well, and know how to respect each other and resolve conflicts, those lessons are crucial and provide a valuable foundation, regardless of what path their child - adopted or biological - takes in life.

Well written and truth. I was raised in California, had many gay friends (male and female). They knew I wasn't gay, I knew they were gay, none of our friendships were affected by this. People are people. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

To be completely honest, I have no idea who Elton John's children are or what they have done (or not done). 

Or, as John Prine once sang "Nothing but a big bunch of nothing."

Seems how you are being completely honest, what does this mean? Sure it's Elton and not his kids. However, you didn't include Elton in your declaration of complete honesty yet you did write that statement. Your words suggest you do know of Elton John. How is he not a male human being? Will we see an answer before the thread is closed?

11 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

I thought he was a male human being, sort of...

5 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

"Only thing 'worse' than gay parents..."? Did I really just read that on this forum? If either of my parents ended up going that way I'd be proud AF of them for honoring themselves, just like I'd hope my kids would be of me or their mom, just like I will be of them if that's their path. 

You did, somewhat. I used quotation marks as a tool of irony, since dedicated gay parents handily beat hetero ones whose home environments are like pre-WWIII video games. When you seek to adopt, they vet the heck out of you first. Its no small thing when you pass that mark. Just to clarify.

I also think the thread hit the garage door like a drunken teen in Dad's Buick. 😛

• Like 2

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

18 minutes ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Seems how you are being completely honest, what does this mean? Sure it's Elton and not his kids. However, you didn't include Elton in your declaration of complete honesty yet you did write that statement. Your words suggest you do know of Elton John. How is he not a male human being? Will we see an answer before the thread is closed?

Biologically, Elton John is definitely a male human being. No question of it. 

Like most humans, he is a "shape shifter", an actor who plays many parts, some of those acts are neither masculine or feminine, some are either or both. 

You can have a huge variety of self-imposed takeaways from my brief observation, so can everybody else. 

It's not an intentionally negative remark, it is my personal assessment. I'm not a big Elton John fan but I respect his talent and his success.

His inclinations, whatever they may be, are not mine to judge. One of the most prevalent risks of stardom is that you are discussed from a myriad of viewpoints. 

I posted a brief observation, would you like me to write a book instead? Not going to happen.

4 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Biologically, Elton John is definitely a male human being. No question of it. 

Like most humans, he is a "shape shifter", an actor who plays many parts, some of those acts are neither masculine or feminine, some are either or both. 

You can have a huge variety of self-imposed takeaways from my brief observation, so can everybody else. 

It's not an intentionally negative remark, it is my personal assessment. I'm not a big Elton John fan but I respect his talent and his success.

His inclinations, whatever they may be, are not mine to judge. One of the most prevalent risks of stardom is that you are discussed from a myriad of viewpoints. 

I posted a brief observation, would you like me to write a book instead? Not going to happen.

And there is the evasive bologna response as expected from you. 

40 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

His inclinations, whatever they may be, are not mine to judge. 

AFAIC, that's it in a nutshell. Live and let live.

I'd also add that giving an opinion does not always have to imply judging. There can be many forces that shape an opinion.

I still don't even know what was expected to be "unpacked" in this thread. Since the OP hasn't returned, I can't classify this thread as a serious attempt at starting a meaningful discussion. I also see people who I believe are being misinterpreted by others, which of course is the danger of an all-text medium. Rather than have that spiral into something that is neither wanted nor needed, and fraught with possiblities for misinterpretation, I'm locking the thread shortly.

Objectively speaking, many of the comments here are subject to interpretation. To anyone who wants a clarification of how to interpret another forum member's opinion, I HIGHLY recommend using PMs. Many times that's the simplest way to straighten out potential errors in communication.

• Like 1