Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Light 49: M-Audio Keyrig, Keystation, Keystudio?

I'm looking for the lightest, smallest 49 with full-size keys. I'm a little baffled by M-Audio's models... it is hard to see what the differences between models are, or how much they weigh. Can anyone tell me, for example, the differences between Keystudio 49, Keystation 49E, Keyrig 49? What I've found so far seems to indicate that the Keystudio is probably lightest (though I haven't found a specific weight figure), the Keystation 49E adds 5-pin MIDI and an optional AC adapter (separate from USB power), though again, I haven't found a specific weight figure, and don't know what other differences there may be. Eliminated: Keystation Mark3 (which is bigger than the 49E) and Keystudio 49i (which has sounds and seems probably heaviest). I've also seen references to Keystation 49ES and Keystation Mark II. I don't know whether those are actually additional models, or alternate names for some of the ones previously mentioned. M-Audio's site isn't of much help. Does anyone have any experience here? Even just accurate weights for some of these models would behelpful.

I'm also open to other suggestions, but I'm looking for something under 5 lbs (lighter is better). As you can probably tell from the above, it doesn't have to be a current model.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Graphite is a really nice low-cost board, nice controls and action (even has aftertouch!), but weighs over 10 lbs, I"m looking for something that weighs less than half that. Samson also has the Carbon 49 which is closer to the right weight, but I tried one and hated the action. The M-Audio I played felt a lot better. 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Mine's in storage... for some reason I thought it was called Keystation ES🤣 OMG. It has no DIN connection, and I bought it new 5 or so years ago. I'll check when I go to storage (it's on top, in its box, an easy check), unless someone finds a definitve list with a size/weight chart, in the meantime. It's a 49 key, no sounds. 

• Like 1

Another nice board, but yeah, too heavy, too  big. I have something like that already. I'm looking for something so small and light you could hold it in one hand and play it with the other. Something between that and a melodica. 😉

I believe the discontinued silver 49 key m-audio key rig, keystation, keystudio varied by software included.

Throwing in the Roland a-49 at 5.6 lb

• Like 1

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

Maybe the Nekar Impact GX or GXP?  Can't comment on the action, but last time I played an M-Audio Keystation (many years ago when it was still the silver MkI), I hated that keybed so much that I never bought another M-Audio.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

The Nektar SE49 and Alesis Q49 MkII look essentially identical to some of the M-Audio stuff (in the left control panel and the rear connection panel), they must all come out of the same factory with the different companies' names on them. Even the Nektar GX49 isn't very different.

The IK Multimedia iRig Keys I/O 49 looks interesting in the under 5-lb category (including having battery operation, and a built-in audio interface), but I don't like that the only connection to the outside world is a proprietary connector (no standard USB or 5-pin connection). And one review I saw sounded like it could be problematic if you want to use it only as a controller and not use its interface... I don't know yet whether that could also be an issue for me.

This started when I saw an old Keystudio at Guitar Center, and was surprised at how light it was. But I don't know what it's actual weight was... close to 5, or maybe even notably less...?

Just googled.  7.5 lbs for the KeyStudio 49i.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Yup, I found that too, but I'm looking at the non-I version, which seems to be notably lighter.

6.6 lbs.  I'm imagining it's pretty much a Keystation 49e.

Hardware

Software

6.6 for the original Keystudio? Where did you find that reference?

Yes, I've seen references for the Keystation 49E at 6.6 (and maybe also 6.8), though some other Keystation models appear to be 4.6 or 4.7 which is significantly less. I would expect the original Keystudio will be that or maybe even less. Sometimes M-Audio's own docs lack this info, leaving either no figures available, or none that seem highly reliable. Maybe I should drive to that Guitar Center that had one and weigh the thing myself. 😉

Found that here.

https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-9900-52320-00-Session-KeyStudio/dp/B000ODLWNW

Maybe the newer Keystations may be lighter weight.  Not sure.

And yes, I tried looking at the manual, and there's no specs about size and weight at all.

Hardware

Software

Also, I looked up the Nektar Impact GX49.  Weighs in at 4.8 lbs according to Nektar's website.

https://nektartech.com/impact-gx49-61/

Hardware

Software

2 hours ago, Justin Havu said:

I have found that Amazon's weights are not trustworthy, unfortunately. At least one reason is that they are sometimes the weight of the unit in its packaging, and not the weight of the unit itself.

• Like 1

I spent my Friday night at GC tonight and took a few minutes while I was there to compare two of the boards you’ve been looking at. They happened to have both an old Keystation 49e and a current Keystation 49es on the floor.

IMG-2939.jpg

The Keystation 49e above was a rather chunky unit both in weight and ergonomics. Definitely well above your desired 5lb weight range, and clunky to hold in one hand as well. I’d estimate maybe 10lbs.

IMG-2940.jpg

The Keystation 49es pictured above was at least half the weight of the 49e, if not more like 2/3 less. It could be held in one hand while playing reasonably easily, with the consideration that it’s a little weird for weight distribution being long. The keybed also was noticeably better, although the 49e was definitely older and may have been stiffer with age or such.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

On 11/2/2023 at 7:50 AM, Artomas said:

Mine's in storage... for some reason I thought it was called Keystation ES🤣 OMG. It has no DIN connection, and I bought it new 5 or so years ago. I'll check when I go to storage (it's on top, in its box, an easy check), unless someone finds a definitve list with a size/weight chart, in the meantime. It's a 49 key, no sounds. 

Wow, my memory wasn't wrong for once. Mine is the Keystation 49es. I originally bought the Alesis V49, so I could play the Kronos from around the room, via USB. The Alesis gave me stuck notes with the Kronos, so I traded it for the Keystation, which was plug and play and just worked. The weight feels about the same as the Korg Wavestate, so I'd guess about 6-7 lbs... but I'll see if I can find a scale that's accurate in that range, when I get home.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Maybe bring a scale to guarantee success.

That's exactly what I intended to do. 🙂

From the info I have so far, I think all these M-Audios but one fall into one of two categories... the are either roughly 4-6-4.7 lbs or they are 6.6 to 6.8. Connectivity options vary (i.e. 5-pin MIDI, power adapter separate from USB) and actions vary. And the one exception I mentioned is the Keystudio 49i at 7.5 lbs, that one has sounds and a USB audio interface.

Meanwhile, tonight, while preparing to head to GC, I also checked into something else, and now may go an entirely different way... Korg Microkey 49. Yeah, minikeys, albeit better than average ones. But super light and, moreover, runs on batteries, and has bluetooth, which greatly simplifies one of my uses. Those light M-Audios have nothing but USB for both power and MIDI, and since I want something wireless, I was imagining a Rube Goldberg approach where I attached, for example, a powered USB hub and powerbank and CME Widi device to the thing. I don't even know if it would work. The fancier M-Audios could do it with less craziness, for having the extra connectivity, but they're, as indicated above, about 2 lbs (or approaching 50%) heavier, which will be noticeable for some of my use. The Korg solves all that, and is even smaller/lighter than the smallest/lightest M-Audio.

But there are trade-offs... besides the mini-key compromise, the Korg lacks some nice M-Audio features, like a volume slider, an way to change MIDI transmit channel on the fly (I was thinking of assigning different sounds to different channels on the iPad it would generally be controlling), and other controls (e.g. transpose, program change). I'm thinking of re-mapping existing controls (i.e. mod wheel, keys I would octave-shift to get to) and/or adding bluetooth footpedals. I briefly considered the 61, which is still light enough, and then I"d have the extra keys for whatever combination of notes and remapped functions, but I didn't want the extra length.

Keytarizing is also a possibility. I came across this video...