Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone going to the Entertainment Media Expo?

EMX Web site

It's a little show being held in Hollywood on 8/31 and 9/1 (next Tuesday and Wednesday). EMX is being put on by the fine parent company that owns the magazines to which these forums are attached (EQ, Pro Sound News, Keyboard and so on). It's actually a combination of shows including DVD Entertainment, Surround 2004, and others. Should be cool, and it's free to see the showcases and demo rooms (i.e., gear).

I'm going to be there on Tuesday, hanging out and helping my GC Pro pals. I'm sure I'll see a few more forumites, since some work for exhibitors at the show (like Dave Bryce and Doug Osborne).

- Jeff

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hadn't seen the earlier post, Craig.

I think the whole change to consolidate this as the "Entertainment Media Expo" confused people. A lot of folks who went to last year's Surround Conference really thought it was worthwhile, so I'm hoping they're aware that this is the same annual event (only bigger).

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

I'm sure I'll see a few more forumites, since some work for exhibitors at the show (like Dave Bryce and Doug Osborne).

:wave:

We'll hang, we'll party, we'll high-five 'n slam heads... :thu::cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I'm trying to make it.

Is it worth the $200 to get in to the conferences? If you don't is it worth it to just see the showcases and demos?

Mike

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

Originally posted by gearmike:

Is it worth the $200 to get in to the conferences? If you don't is it worth it to just see the showcases and demos?

I don't know. It really depends on how deep you want to get into the actual techniques and whatnot.

When I was youthful and pretty, I used to go to the AES show as a student member, and I'd attend lectures on topics like "The Psychoacoustics of Swinging Bell Sounds" (I'm not making that up). It was all very interesting, but I always had more fun cruising around and checking out the gear. Most company reps are also happy to talk about product application information with you one-to-one (and those guys mostly have a high level of expertise about the applications in which their gear is used anyway).

One thing I'm looking forward to, beyond the show itself, is the Surround Awards thing. Last year's awards had Larry Flynt and Steve Vai inducting Frank Zappa, with some excellent musical performances by Dweezil. It was great.

- Jeff

Archived