Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Must Fly With A Keyboard HELP

7 hours ago, Floyd Tatum said:
On 10/16/2023 at 6:06 PM, zephonic said:

MODX6 will fit in overhead compartment

Wouldn't that take up pretty much the whole overhead compartment?   Better hope you have some very agreeable compartment-mates, that didn't bring much overhead luggage, or that the flight is half-empty!  😀😁

I would never bring a 61-note keyboard through security assuming it would be allowed in an overhead. Firat and foremost, overhead compartments differ greatly in size depending on the plane. It might fit in a twin-aisle aircraft but a single-aisle, or a regional jet? Good luck. I've also seen overhead compartments with dividers, some without. You're tossing the dice big time imo. Not to mention that even with compartments that fit a keyboard, you better make sure you're in an early boarding group – not to mention the daggers from the other passengers!

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 9:01 AM, Iconoclast said:

And to close out this topic. At our 2d gig I was able to SELL the SL88 to the backline "dude" (I'd hesitate to call it a backline company) for $200 and the promise that I could use it for free whenever I was in Roatan.

So all in all I spent approx $200 to use an SL88 studio for a week.

Played on the beach a couple of nights, had a lot of fun, trying real hard not to drink too much, playing Margaritaville for all the Gringos.

IMG-20240215-WA0002.jpg

20240214_200812.jpg

20240212_132632.jpg

Geez, look at all those snowless 'trees'.  Buy the best keyboard there and never leave.

My buddy Norman has flown with the MODX6. In a bag, it’s about the size of a guitar, and I’m sure you have seen plenty of those being stowed on top of other bags in the overhead compartments. IME, flight attendants are usually helpful when it comes to musical instruments.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

4 hours ago, zephonic said:

IME, flight attendants are usually helpful when it comes to musical instruments.

They are supposed to try to accommodate musical instruments... though there's always some risk of ending up on a flight where you won't be able to carry it on.

Here are the newest rules...

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2015/01/05/2014-30836/carriage-of-musical-instruments

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Rules are made to be broken and the interwebs are full of stories of capricious gate agents and flight attendants deciding what you can and can't bring onto a plane. Once you start arguing with them you've lost the argument, even when you're technically right. Go ahead, bring your ~$1000 keyboard to the gate and find out you're either gate-checking it in its soft bag or going home to fly another day. Even if they let you bring it onboard you have to hope you're either in an early boarding group, or find a very nice FA to help you get it stowed properly; in my experience over the last 10 years – on United anyway – overhead space fills up fast. A checked bag charge of $40 - $50 seems a worthwhile price to pay to not leave all these possible outcomes to chance.

• Like 2