Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New KP 408 SX

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What instrument are you feeding it?   And have you tried reducing output of the instrument, slowing raising the input gain on the amp’s input and then slowly raising the output of the amp.  

Other things that may cause distortion - a bad circuit at the amp’s input.   Or you may be experiencing speaker “farting” if either or both of the speakers isn’t glued well, or a tear in the speaker material.  

it is an 8” design and it may be under powered for playing with a loud band.  Better designed for solo, duo, trio stuff.  With a loud band it may be best suited for monitoring yourself and sending to FOH as opposed to being your sole amplification.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Well, I’m the one who wrote a ravingly positive review of my new Motion Sound KP-612SX.  I still think it’s exceptional.  However, did a gig last night where when I was playing, for example, extremely LOUD brass/horn stabs, it shuts down.  I haven’t deciphered the exact recovery time yet, but it’s not TOO long.  I’ve found that if I just shut it off and turn it back on, the (what I assume to be a “limiter” of some sort) amp resets and works perfectly fine, with no distortion, and loud.  Then I just backed off on the brass volume a bit, and all was fine.  To be clear - it is very LOUD, and continues to have that capacity (while maintaining a respectably good, quality sound).  But it seems there is a limit - I’d think to probably protect the speakers when being driven so hard as to damage them.

In this particular instance, due to the small stage size, my MS KP-612SX got pushed in a difficult location, on the floor, off angle, being partially blocked by the drums, and several musicians legs, etc.  In other words, IMO it was being asked to do a Herculean job competing with drums, other amps and PA system in a loud classic rock band.  I have another live gig next Friday, and will be watching closely for any shut-downs (and recovery time if it happens again).  But to repeat, even after the shut-offs (limiters?), once recovered, it continues to operate at full volume with no distortion.  And I’ve played through it at home afterwards, and wow is it loud and clear.  Actually, amazes me how loud the band must be for me to drive this thing that hard!  I think better placement will solve any problem - but if not, I’ll be giving Motion Sound a call to see what’s up.

I may even need to get the matching extension cabinet, but then I’ll have a real “stage space” problem again (which was one of my main reasons for buying this particular amp) (although I realize I could probably just stack them).

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

3 hours ago, stoken6 said:

My first thought. @Allen Breton how loud were you playing when this happened?

Cheers, Mike.

in a loud band situation i would think the MS amp would be for a personal monitor only , with an output going to a P.A. for the stage and for the room . at any rate , what was the  MS amp 

set at when it crapped out ? . i have an MS 610 , it's loud , i would expect it to be more than adequate as a personal monitor , but more than that , i don't think so .

Agree the band volume is excessive, but I’m not in control of them.  Yes, we/they were playing VERY (too) loud, acknowledged.  I was trying to provide some explanation (a “limiter”) for the original poster.  At least the “limiting” occurs very quickly, and recovers quickly with thereafter no further volume or sound quality impact.

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.