Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gforce OB-X

Grr, I'm not often tempted by plugins these days--I have some with Komplete ultimate I haven't even used yet!--but this one is tempting.   Thing is, I have Diva and bx_oberhausen among others that can "do Oberheim", now whether this is night and day better is the question.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stokely said:

now whether this is night and day better is the question. 

I'm pretty sure there is a downloadable demo

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

47 minutes ago, Stokely said:

Thing is, I have Diva and bx_oberhausen among others that can "do Oberheim", now whether this is night and day better is the question.

Yes, I have them both and they sound great. Besides, I also have the Arturia too. Wondering if the G-Force one is better.

I'm not burning with a need for anything much, but when Alex cranked up the chorus, I got Obie chills. 🥶 Nice!

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty
 and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life- so I became a scientist.

This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
      ~ Matt Cartmill

On 10/12/2023 at 8:47 AM, wjwilcox said:

Website says 59 pounds sterling which is US$72.08 today.

It shows up as $77.99 USD on my price list for them, but it’s not available to add to the MPN Store yet. :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

FYI:

If you’re a registered GForce Oberheim SEM and/or Oberheim OB-E owner you can cross grade to Oberheim OB-X at a preferential rate. Please log in to your account and add OB-X to your basket to receive the discount.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

On 10/12/2023 at 8:29 AM, Tusker said:

Thanks Mike! 👍 😀 

I like that they brought over the XLFO and XADSR features which can modulate anything in the synth architecture. Those are my favorite features in MiniMonsta 2.

Those features pushed me over the edge to get it.

I hope that when impOSCar is updated, they'll include the XLFO and XADSR with that one too.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 9:47 AM, Mike Martin said:

I'm pretty sure there is a downloadable demo

just downloaded the demo myself, it lasts for 6 hours or 7 days, whichever comes first.

I  own everything else G Force makes, been a big fanboi for the last decade.

I don't need this. At all.

I won't pass on the price of the crossgrade they are giving me, however. :cool:

:nopity:

This may be a pansy ass reason, but part of why I got OB-X even though I don't need it, is because of this blurb in the manual:

"The GForce Oberheim OB-X was brought to you thanks to the work of the following team:

Oberheim: Tom Oberheim, Marcus Ryle, David Gibbons.

GForce: Remi Engelen, Luke Brosnahan, Arron Shah, Tom Wolfe, Graeme Rawson,Georgina Cotterill, Çağatay Çetin"

I have immense respect for these people, love their products, and purchase them partly as a small show of support.

The fact that I consider them as some of the best sounding softsynths available is icing on the cake.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 6:41 PM, RABid said:

Thanks for the notice. I really like the G-Force stuff and have debated the OB-E for quite a while. It never seems to be as cheap as their other synths.

Got myself a birthday present and ordered the Oberheim trio. OB-8 is the one I was really after. Wow. I own a few Oberheim VST's from other companies but the GForce Oberheims is a notch above. These sound beautiful.

• Like 2

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

52 minutes ago, RABid said:

Got myself a birthday present and ordered the Oberheim trio. OB-8 is the one I was really after. Wow. I own a few Oberheim VST's from other companies but the GForce Oberheims is a notch above. These sound beautiful.

Very nice.    I think I prefer the basic sound of the OB-E/SEM over the OB-X. 

The OB-E can be a bit fiddly to program, and it's hard to know when to quit. 🤣

The SEM is much simpler but can sound just as good.

The XLFO's and XADSR's available on the OB-X allow for such a greater range of sounds that I've programmed some that I like better with that one.

Just an all around super fine package.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RABid said:

ordered the Oberheim trio. OB-8 is the one I was really after. Wow. I own a few Oberheim VST's from other companies but the GForce Oberheims is a notch above. These sound beautiful.

I bought OB-8 as a crossgrade from G Force as I already owned OB-E and SEM, price was too good to pass up .  I am good on Oberheim VST's  now. :cheers:

27 minutes ago, felis said:

I think I prefer the basic sound of the OB-E/SEM over the OB-X. 

As do I. :cool:

• Like 1
:nopity:

The icing on the cake with the OB-X is that with an XADSR in combination with a regular envelope,

I can get it to respond to release velocity perfectly.

I think it's some kind of a recursive function.  Whatever it is, I love it.  😍

Minimonsta2 and Oddity 3 also have XLFO and XADSR.

On 10/26/2023 at 7:16 PM, RABid said:

Holding a low note on the OB-X sounds like an intro to a Rush song. I mean really sounds like it. Just the right amount of harmonic stepping/interplay on the filter as it closes.

Yes - and on the higher end of the keyboard, there's a lot of high frequency content that remains remarkably free of artifacts.

I'm so used to the aliasing of Kurzweil and other digital stuff, that this is like a breath of fresh air.

Not sure if it's more due to the oscillators or the filter, but I like it.

• 3 weeks later...

So, is the OB-X worth it after the honeymoon for those who bought it? I am about to order the OB-E but am wondering if I should stretch a little and get the full set with the SEM and the OB-X included? Frankly speaking, I am not very impressed with the OB-X demos, however those for the OB-E are mind blowing.

I like OB-X even more now that I've been using it a bit. 

OB-E has so much info crammed into the screen that it's a little hard for me to read.

You can program a sound in SEM and import it in to OB-E, and then go from there.

I'm a little biased, but I'd say yes, it's absolutely worth it to the 3 synth bundle.

2 hours ago, CyberGene said:

So, is the OB-X worth it after the honeymoon for those who bought it? I

I've got several OB emulations, and of course per my name- the real thing with an Xa as well as an OB1k module.  While trying to keep the hardware alive, always on the look out for something in virtual land. 

The G-force captures some of magic dust the other don't.  I still think the OPX  by Disco  is a great value, but the UI is lacking, and could really use some FX.    Arturia's is probably the best looking, but it's a memory hog, and original patches don't seem to really translate all that well.   G-force is sometimes guilty of way too much FX on presets on all their stuff,  but overall this is the closest OB experience I've found thus far.   Fair warning- if you're on a slower computer (as I am) reduce the voice count to 6 or 8 so it's not consuming all your resources. 

I love the SEM.   Though it's killer and fun to play around with,  I think the OPE is too overwhelming when you need to dial in something fast. Same issue I have with the Cherry Audio version. 

• Love 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

@obxa thanks, that really made my mind, I'm ordering 🙂

4 minutes ago, obxa said:

Fair warning- if you're on a slower computer (as I am) reduce the voice count to 6 or 8 so it's not consuming all your resources.

I'm on an Apple Silicon Mac and it can handle like 30 U-He Diva instances without a hiccup, so it should be good enough.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

I don't see anything by that name no their site, just this:

https://www.discodsp.com/obxd/

Is this what you meant, or was there an older product of theirs named OPX?

Sorry  not in the studio, going by memory (which is a bit foggy from Covid at the moment.....)

It's always been a bit confusing with this one.  Yes OBXD  that's it.  That's the paid more refined one,  but not sure if it's still just nag-ware. Try the current demo.

Then there's this absolute free one too (which is related to the Disco...). Many of the Mainstage patch guys use it:

https://plugins4free.com/plugin/1844/

EDIT- ok the Disco Ob-Xd  version is the newest, of the old blue one-  and is fully free for non-commercial use. It also has presets, and a ton available on web. (J3PO etc.)  paid version is $49.00.   Paired with external FX it does well. 

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.