Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studio question: MIDI controllers & audio interfaces?

OK, I'm looking at setting up a small home studio based around my computer, and I'm seeing lots of options. I've got the studio program I'd like to use - Cool Edit Pro 2. It has effects included with the software, but no plug-ins (what is a plug-in, exactly? :confused: ).

I need an preamp or audio interface that connects via USB. I'd prefer USB because I like the fact that it's pretty much plug & play. I'll be using all types of instruments, so I need something that will allow me to connect everything.

I also want a MIDI control keyboard and I'm looking at M-audio's Ozone or Edirol's PCR-30. If I get the PCR-30 I'll need a audio interface like the M-audio MobilePre or Tascam UB-122(?).

Any suggestions? I need to keep the price below $500.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If youre using a desktop then there is no reason to use USB. Sure, its easier to setup initially, but youre giving up huge performance benefits that PCI and Firewire offer. Unless you can get a USB 2.0 interface (which are rare), then Id steer clear of USB. Edirol recently came out with a decent 1/3rd rack space USB 2.0 unit with all of the bells and whistles youd need for $500 if Im not mistaken. Otherwise, a cheap PCI audio card, some outboard preamps, and a USB MIDI interface are probably your best bet.

I'm no expert like some contributors, but here goes..

===============================================

Q.

(what is a plug-in, exactly? ).

-----------------------------------------------

A.

A plug-in is a program that you install from disc or download that takes the place of, or replicates what a hardware unit does(specific keyboards, reverb units, etc.). All the goodies, but no outboard rack stuff.

Q.

I need an preamp or audio interface that connects via USB. I'd prefer USB because I like the fact that it's pretty much plug & play.

A.

A preamp is probably the one thing that you LEAST need, as you'll be in the computer world, not the analog. Generally a preamp lives outside the computer. Yes to USB. Make sure all is USB 2, or plug and play might be an issue.

Spend your money on the A-D interface. Your're converting real voices and sounds to X's and O's, so get a good unit. 2 Ins by 2 Outs(minimum) will get sounds into the computer and back out to your speakers.

Q.

I also want a MIDI control keyboard..

A.

As long as the keyboard can generate MIDI output, don't waste money on a controller. Remember, a controller is a hardware unit with NO sounds. They are intended to give a musician control over different devices in a live situation. Any cheap keyboard with MIDI will work(Ebay? Casio??).

Good luck! Hope the real geniuses that post here will contribute.

Paul

WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

Are you PC or Mac?

I have a Mac, and use Mark of the Unicorn interfaces. I've been using Macs since 1988, and just keep upgrading. I'm on #4 now, I think.

I'm not familiar with USB audio interfaces. I have a Firewire unit (MOTU 828) which has worked flawlessly. The MIDI interface is USB, and has also worked flawlessly. I totally agree that you should look into Firewire of PCI audio interfaces. Even without knowledge of USB audio interfaces, a PCI system will grow as you need, and Firewire is right there. The higher the quality of sound you get into the computer, you better you can transfer it wherever you need/want.

Plug ins are small programs that require a full feature audio program to run within. These are mostly effects - all the fun, no rack space! Some really twisted stuff is available.

I've got to give very high marks to my current setup: the M-Audio FW410 (firewire) which offers two simult. analog ins (either line-level or mic preamps, which sound great), 2 simult S/PDIF ins and 8 outs as well as MIDI i/o. It's a great soundcard/interface/mic pre. I'm using that M-audio 61 key midi controller which has 8 each assignable faders/knobs that can be used to write automation. I believe that the whole setup cost right near $500.

Both have behaved flawlessly for me- great quality with no flaws (although I do miss hammer-action; I'm lusting over that new M-Audio weighted interface).

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

I've got to give very high marks to my current setup: the M-Audio FW410 (firewire) which offers two simult. analog ins (either line-level or mic preamps, which sound great), 2 simult S/PDIF ins and 8 outs as well as MIDI i/o. It's a great soundcard/interface/mic pre. I'm using that M-audio 61 key midi controller which has 8 each assignable faders/knobs that can be used to write automation. I believe that the whole setup cost right near $500.

Both have behaved flawlessly for me- great quality with no flaws (although I do miss hammer-action; I'm lusting over that new M-Audio weighted interface).

Agreed :thu: I'm using a FW410, and have been very happy with it. Avoid USB unless its USB 2.0, per Dylan PDX's suggestion, too. Depending on the complexity of what you need to play in and how you tend to work, something like an M-Audio Oxygen 8 might fit the bill for your keyboard...
"You can't enjoy yourself unless you're having fun."

I've got a 2.5 GHz Compaq running Windows XP. The sound card sounds OK, but isn't good for anything except a microphone. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to piece together songs.

Maybe I should check some of this stuff out for myself on my next trek to Sam Ash or Guitar Center and spend my money on couple of good mics and cables for now.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

The soundcard built into your computer (probably has a 1/8" mini-phone jack) will give you sound quality similar to a cassette portastudio. If you want more dynamic range, you will need a PCI/firewire/usb interface.

Check out Mark of the Unicorn and Digidesign and look at the products they offer. There's a full range from mega-buck studio solutions, to modest "express" options. Most interfaces come bundled with basic audio software, but not neccesarily MIDI software.

Consider that Cool Pro 2 does not support recording MIDI (I'm pretty sure) and won't allow you to edit it (absolutely sure). And it does not support softsynths of any kind. So, what will you do with your Midi controller? I suppose you could feed it to a hardware synth and record the audio...

I suggest Sonar or Cubase as options that really support Midi.

Also, note that Cool Pro 2 is no longer being sold. You'd need to get Adobe Audition (it's new name after Adobe bought the program from Syntrillium).

Don't get me wrong, CoolPro/Audition is an awesome tool that I wouldn't want to do without. But for Midi, it's not really a useful tool.

Good points about MIDI. Actually Audition DOES support ReWire, so there's some MIDI action going on there. Don't forget there are "lite" versions of Sonar (Cakewalk Home Studio) and Cubase (Cubasis), as well as Traktion, which does a lot for little bucks. But as was pointed out, there will probably be software bundled with the interface.

Here are some comments I posted on my eBay forum at http://www.musicplayer.com/lounge/forums/ :

-------------------------------------

USB -- Good for basic applications, low track count, plug-and-play, easy installation, doesn't do high sample rates well.

PCI -- Tightest connection to the guts of the computer, but touchier (especially if you have a PCI graphics card) and may have conflicts with other devices. Highest potential performance.

FireWire -- Far more capable than USB, with much more plug-and-play aspect than PCI. Relatively expensive and more limited choices.

Archived