Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Problems with Korg Module (live sets)

Paul Woodward

I have sung the praises of Korg apps in the past, and this app is a Swiss army knife for bread and butter sounds. We have had numerous discussions about using it with a controller in place of a dedicated board, and I have. 

But, trying to integrate into a live setup is ticking me off. 

Yesterday, sounds changing, distorting, sustaining infinitely when patches changed so I uninstalled, reinstalled and remade the troublesome sets. All was good for the rest of the day... 

Fired up the app today and sounds are different. Sharp stabby synths are now slow and sustained yet the patch name is still there. Change the sound within the set, then back again, and it's fixed. Save set Again!

It's like a string sound is being selected or that the ADSR has changed the tone completely. 

It's weird....and annoying. Unusable in this state. 

I'm on a month old ipad 9 with latest IpadOS. 

Anyone else encountered issues with Korg Module live sets? 

Korg Grandstage 73, Korg Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 13 M4, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Im afraid it didnt make any difference. The Korg app was not connected to anything when I fired it up this morning, but admittedly, I hadnt tried it since it was disconnected from the CK last night. I checked the patches all worked and they did (as far as I was aware), but maybe the CK is sending something it doesnt like (or it is just accepting these changes). Its only happening to some patches so this makes more sense...

The Module App has Midi CC Learn so I think its 'listening' out for control changes, but none are in the CK settings as far as I am aware and I havent set any manually either....

image.png.7af95187bb84e81fc066ddb44fcb156c.png

Korg Grandstage 73, Korg Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 13 M4, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

You have to 'teach' Module which control (slider/knob) controls which CC. The problem is mostly affecting the synth (Multi) patches not the organ/piano/e.piano/clav which each have their own engine. Looking at this list, it seems that CC72 and 73 are likely being changed to explain the sound being more string/pad like. Maybe others as well, but by what???

Screenshot 2023-10-02 143011.png

I have downloaded a few midi monitor apps for the iPad (midiwrench, midispy, midiscope). Hopefully they will flag up what is being sent, then I can look at the CK as the culprit and see about filtering them somehow.

Sorted I think. This is what it sends on a program change…and more. Those culprit CC’s are in there alright. Found a way to turn then off on the CK, but might help others.

IMG_0011.jpeg

1 hour ago, drawback said:

How have you turned off the offending CCs? 

Now this didn’t make sense, but it worked. In the global settings on the CK (and YC/CP I believe) you can turn control change OFF. Logic (to me) says this would turn them all off, but it seems the master keyboard setting overrides this.

Its now sending only what I need which can be specified in the zone settings (PB, PGM Change, Mod, Pan, Volume etc.).

Problem solved I hope and I apologise for blaming Korg Module. Both machines doing their thing, just sending far more control data than I wanted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven’t read the whole post but I gave up using the CP73 as a controller of anything because no matter what I did it sent loads of CCs on patch change. I suspect the CK is also sending stuff that is changing the sounds in module. 

You could change all the CCs in Module but that would irritating.

Fellow Yorkshireman I see @ChazKeys. See post above yours, the CCs can be turned off globally yet still allow the master keyboard mode to send just what you want.

43 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

Now this didn’t make sense, but it worked. ...

Problem solved I hope and I apologise for blaming Korg Module. Both machines doing their thing, just sending far more control data than I wanted.

We all loosely "blame" the first seeming culprit, I think. Its part of diagnosing a problem. It took me a while to adapt to the deep diving you have to do, because synths have so many odd side roads. Things became easier to tackle once I realized that the answer was there; it was just 5 layers down on the tree. E-mu's Proteus 2000 line had enormous modular innards, but programming them through a 2-line LCD was High Suckage. I know how good we have it. :like:     

• Like 1

"You get a couple of glasses of wine in those guys, they'll tell you the riddle of the Sphinx."
     ~ "Godfather of Harlem"

Yorkshire Indeed! Yes you can turn off the CCs on the CP but it still sends a couple of CCs like volume, when changing patches. I can’t remember the problem CCs but it played havoc with my gemini module.

Glad you sorted it.

• Like 1

I wasn’t aware there were drawbars in Module organs…I think you need master keyboard mode on to still send CC when the global control is turned off. All I know is, programs now change but no more messed up sounds…

• Like 1

I'm glad you've resolved it. I can try to replicate the environment, but I don't have an iPad, only Korg Module for iOS 17 on an iPhone, with Bluetooth MIDI.

• Like 1

NS4 73HA, Yamaha MODX7+, Korg C1 Air, Roland TD1-DMK, Harley Benton TalkBox, Sony F-760 dynamic microphone, Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen, M-Audio Track Duo, MacBook Air M1, Logic Pro 11, Kontakt 7, Mainstage, Cubasis 3 (IOS), Korg Module (IOS),

1 hour ago, MartinLeo said:

I'm glad you've resolved it. I can try to replicate the environment, but I don't have an iPad, only Korg Module for iOS 17 on an iPhone, with Bluetooth MIDI.

You should see the same issues from your Yamaha to iPhone I imagine, it’s the midi CC’s that are being sent that was the issue for me.

• Like 1