Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Car audio head unit with an input?

The FM thingy for my iPod sounds like crap. Two of my cars don't have a cassette so I can't use the adapter, and it doesn't look good either. Which head unit models have an audio input on the front (or any kind of input, since most portables have headphone out) so it'll be easy to hook up my iPod?

Are there any?

Raul

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. I bought a Panasonic unit about three months ago; has RCA inputs on the back, so you'll have to run a wire from back to someplace comfortable to place your iPod. JVC has one, but I went through three units--taking them back to the dealer each time because they were faulty out of the box. JVC=Just Very Crappy.

Don't remember the Panasonic model number offhand, but the faceplate is chrome-plated, if that'll help your site search.

Agreed...the iPod transmitters sound like shit.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

check out Crutchfield you can search for a unit that fits your car and that will have an input. I picked up a Blaupunkt from (above) years ago when I bought my car that had an 1/8" aux input. I knew it would come in handy at some point. Now that I have an iPod it serves me well.
"When I look at the smiles on all the children's faces,,...I just know they're about to jab me with something." -Homer J. Simpson

Originally posted by Sergievsky:

The FM thingy for my iPod sounds like crap. Two of my cars don't have a cassette so I can't use the adapter, and it doesn't look good either. Which head unit models have an audio input on the front (or any kind of input, since most portables have headphone out) so it'll be easy to hook up my iPod?

Are there any?

I had the exact same problem you have. I bought a Monster iCarPlay FM transmitter for my iPod and it really sucked. I just picked up an Aiwa CDCX144 from Circuit City on sale this week for $79.95. It has an aux in on the front that works perfectly with my iPod.

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/hires/ais/PC.AIS.CDCX144.LT.JPG

The Panasonic CQ-C5410U

50w per channel

don't remember the price

http://homepage.mac.com/echohaus/.Pictures/iPod+car.jpg

I took this just a bit ago, while cleaning out the car. Ignore the headphones...I just stuck them there to get them out of the way.

Despite what it may look like, the cabling isn't really an issue.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

According to this month's Car and Driver, BMW and Apple have signed an agreement for future BMWs to have an iPod attachment, and includes the ability to control your iPod from the Beemer's steering wheel controls. I expect this trend to continue and include satellite receivers...

And, if you can afford a damn iPod, you can afford a BMW! :P Us Saab owners will wait... and watch...

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by Botch.:

And, if you can afford a damn iPod, you can afford a BMW! :P

Sorry to disappoint, but my iPod costs more than what my car is worth ('91 Sentra, 181,000 miles). Shows you where my priorities are. :D

Hey thanks folks! I might try the Akai, if I can find it here. If not I'm a-gonna have to wait for someone to get it for me. I would think more and more car audio makers will add this feature on their units, with the increasing amount of iPods and the like out there.
Raul

Archived