Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SamplerBox

elif

I have a need for one of these for live perfornance.  Has anyone tried one? It's based on a Raspberry Pi and has apparently been around a while.

SamplerBox

Features

• (New) Now available for Raspberry Pi 4!
  • Drop'n'play DIY sampler: drop .WAV samples on the SD card, and play!
  • Open source / open hardware
  • Raspberry Pi computer inside, download the ready-to-use ISO image!
  • Boot time: 8 seconds
  • Polyphony: more than 128 voices
  • Low latency (9 ms?)
  • Memory: can load sample-sets up to 1 GB

spacer.png

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, used it for some time with my own samples CFX and for playback of backingtracks
I modified the original code to be more accurate for velocity, added a freeverb implementation and added stereo backingtracks using 4 channel output (backing/sample and click)
The sd-card is made readonly, so there is no issue with the normal raspberry Pi risk of corrupting the sd-card.
Worked very well with very little latency. The switching of samples takes some time.
Never had an issue with it and was a fun project.

My modified version of SampleBox

My backing tracks adventure took many versions: 
SampleBox, inside Kurzweil Forte, Mainstage, Plogue Bidule, Android app, Pythonista app and now QSheets.
Some where mono (Left Audio, Right Click), some multichannel with stereo audio for backing track audio.
Mono seems to be more than good enough (we only have additional stuff like percussion, effects and riffs where I needed a third hand)

I did not follow the development for the last years, good to hear that it is still active!

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

4 hours ago, erik_nie said:

Yes, used it for some time with my own samples CFX and for playback of backingtracks
I modified the original code to be more accurate for velocity, added a freeverb implementation and added stereo backingtracks using 4 channel output (backing/sample and click)
The sd-card is made readonly, so there is no issue with the normal raspberry Pi risk of corrupting the sd-card.
Worked very well with very little latency. The switching of samples takes some time.
Never had an issue with it and was a fun project.

My modified version of SampleBox

My backing tracks adventure took many versions: 
SampleBox, inside Kurzweil Forte, Mainstage, Plogue Bidule, Android app, Pythonista app and now QSheets.
Some where mono (Left Audio, Right Click), some multichannel with stereo audio for backing track audio.
Mono seems to be more than good enough (we only have additional stuff like percussion, effects and riffs where I needed a third hand)

I did not follow the development for the last years, good to hear that it is still active!

Nice mods you've done there in SampleBox2.  I have an unused 3B+ and an 8GB Pi 4 that is currently ildling away running OpenMediaVault. I'd have to free that up for this project, though the 3B+ may do fine for my meager needs - very limited polyphony.  i've been dragging around a 90's era rompler for its bass samples (LHB on a clonewheel). I only use the same 2 or 3 patches on a gig so I want to put those and maybe other samples in SampleBox, selectable as a pedal.  It would help to reduce my gear schelp.

I have access to a logic analyzer and hope to be able to get the samples out of the ROM directly. The samples are multi-level, 3 or 4.  It looks like SampleBox uses a file naming scheme to handle playing the correct file according to the velocity. Also, your bug fix to that was an improvement.

Nice Job!