Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keith McMillen BopPad

KuruPrionz

Arrived today. This evening I downloaded and installed the software for using it and the manual. It shows up in Waveform as an option and will run some sounds on several of my drum plugins but I have some learning to do to get the drum sounds I want in the quadrants I'd like them to be. I'm not surprised by this, I did enough research before purchasing to understand that this isn't really plug and play and that's OK. Tomorrow I'll take the .pdf of the manual and print it, that will make things easer. 

I probably need to do a deeper dive into the drum programs themselves as well. 

I like it, it responds much more realistically than the Roland Handsonic (first version) that I recently sold. I've got IK MODO Drum, NI Studio Drummer, Drum Lab and West Africa and also Excite Snare (don't remember the company name but it's a great snare). MODO Drum alone has 12 different drum kits. I've got more than enough to stay busy figuring this out, could take some time. 

Once I'm better at it, I'll come back with a more in depth review.

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 5 months later...

6 hours ago, sam6599643 said:

So what’s happened so far with your experience with the Bop Pad?

To be honest, I haven't gotten around to really messing with it. I made sure it works and it's just been sitting. We had a leak on the third floor come down and I had a big puddle in my kitchen on the first floor and some wet walls. I've had to clear the kitchen and living room so workers can come fix it. They haven't shown up yet, already booked with other work. The units above me got hit much harder than mine did. 

Eventually I'll get to it. My impression is that it's got the potential to be a powerful tool for recording. Others may want to use it live. 

• Like 1

sam6599643, you could probably buy one from a retailer that has a return policy, like Sweetwater. 

I doubt you'll be disappointed, I wasn't. In fact, I used to have a Roland Handsonic, the first one ((HPD15). 

After I had the Wavedrum for a while I sold the Handsonic. It was a nice piece of kit but fairly static compared to the responsiveness of the Korg. 

I haven't tried the newer Roland gear, I wouldn't be surprised if they've improved a great deal. There may be others out there too. I'm happy with the one I have, the Wavedrum is very responsive. 

• Like 2