Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Taylor Swift Does It Again - Updated with Cool New Info

Her Eras tour movie is bypassing distributors, and going directly from studio to theater. Ticket prices set at $19.89 for adults, $13.13 for kids (although the "price fixing" may get her in legal trouble). 

It's sneaky, underhanded, totally brilliant, wonderful, and will break (or at least bend) a system that needs to be broken. Good for her, and for her parents who've been a part of this journey (her dad is a VP for Merrill-Lynch, and her mom is a former ad agency marketing manager). 

Hopefully after breaking it, the reassembly will be better than how the music industry was reassembled after it was broken.

Seems sorta weird that more people haven't bypassed distributors before. Anyway, yeah, she's pretty great.

The system had time to carefully lock itself tightly in place. Developments in technology eroded the hold the system had on itself. In a way it was mirrored in opportunistic looting during riots and post-disasters. When an entire generation considered everything should be available to everyone free of charge and theft of what was legally private property acceptable and a right for them to access it was over, for a time at least. The system has been struggling to adapt and retain control while these diseases have taken a toll. When events outside the system posed additional challenges which would have taxed it anyway it collapsed. It is not a total annihilation. Some of the structure remains. But so much has changed that a substantial portion of power shifted away from the system and allowed new systems to establish and sure up their footing in the new conditions.

Looks like Taylor Swift was destined to be a trail blazer. She has many characteristics which are enabling her to be historically significant. It will be interesting if her interests shift away from music and further into humanitarian and political causes as she continues her life trajectory. She has already done so much. She is not a poser. It is plausible that she could eventually run and be elected for a political position.   She may be able to do more on point (her point) as a private citizen and also avoid all of the baggage that political office comes with.

4 hours ago, Bill H. said:

I'm uncomfortable with the premium pricing. It feels like she's price gouging the kids. My local theater has a blanket price of $9 for kids no matter what day or time. 

Edit: Tuesdays are $5. 

I think it's also the start of variable pricing. That has potential as well. A movie could be priced below "standard" to bring people in, or above "standard" if it's premium content.

Think of the prices as a hell of a lot cheaper than going to a concert. Given the massive amounts of money Taylor Swift has given away to charities (in addition to her own crew and disaster relief), I see it as redistribution of wealth :)  I'm okay with supporting that. 

Taylor Swift has earned enough money throughout her career to be a shot-caller.  She doesn't need the music industry machine anymore. 

They music industry needs Taylor Swift and she knows it.  This is also where it helps to have *smart* parents too especially in an otherwise exploitative industry.

More folks won't be able to forgo the industry either because 1) they cannot afford it or 2) they don't have the *success* i.e. body of work, brand and loyal followng to become independent.

Taylor Swift is no rookie.  She's been at the top of her game both artistically and business-wise for a long time now.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• 2 weeks later...

So I found out how Taylor Swift got around the union issues with the current strike, and it's EFFING BRILLIANT - and a giant middle finger to the !@#$%$ CEOs who don't care about the people who create the actual content that makes them rich.

She went to the union and said she wanted to do the right thing. So, she negotiated a contact under the same terms that SAG-AFTRA wanted from the entertainment companies. That's right - she just gave the union what they had asked for in their contract negotiations.

So, she got a "not a problem about the strike" exemption and Eras is being done with a union contract.

If she can afford to give the creators a fair deal...what's the problem with Bob Iger and his ilk? The problem is all THEY care about is their shareholders. Apparently, what Taylor Swift cares about is doing the right thing. Whether she's doing it because she's totally cool and has a conscience or it's a calculated business decision to be perceived as cool doesn't matter - she set a standard, and basically challenged the industry to meet it.

Good for her!!!

• Like 2
  • Love 3

12 minutes ago, Anderton said:

So I found out how Taylor Swift got around the union issues with the current strike, and it's EFFING BRILLIANT - and a giant middle finger to the !@#$%$ CEOs who don't care about the people who create the actual content that makes them rich.

She went to the union and said she wanted to do the right thing. So, she negotiated a contact under the same terms that SAG-AFTRA wanted from the entertainment companies. That's right - she just gave the union what they had asked for in their contract negotiations.

So, she got a "not a problem about the strike" exemption and Eras is being done with a union contract.

If she can afford to give the creators a fair deal...what's the problem with Bob Iger and his ilk? The problem is  all THEY care about is their shareholders. Apparently, what Taylor Swift cares about is doing the right thing. Whether she's doing it because she's totally cool and has a conscience or it's a calculated business decision to be perceived as cool doesn't matter - she set a standard, and basically challenged the industry to meet it.

Good for her!!!

That’s amazing—and completely consistent with everything else I have heard about her.

She rocks.

• Like 2

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com