Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Aha!

It was a specific reply to Take On Me, whose chorus is eerily similar.

Though not as much so as a Bon Jovi song that is almost an exact match for Lennon's "Don't Let Me Down".

Sometimes these riffs are accidental, from the subconscious, etc. Maybe that was the case with A-ha.

McCartney is famous for saying no one recognized "Yesterday", and yet most jazz cats know the verse part.

I'd have to dig out my Real Book to reverify which famous standard it matches, but surely he heard his Dad play it.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

3 hours ago, Mark Schmieder said:

It was a specific reply to Take On Me, whose chorus is eerily similar.

Wait, I’m confused. You appear to have written earlier that „Take On Me“ bothered you because it was such a direct rip-off. 

I’m trying to figure out what, specifically, you think it ripped off. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

25 minutes ago, analogika said:

Wait, I’m confused. You appear to have written earlier that „Take On Me“ bothered you because it was such a direct rip-off. 

I’m trying to figure out what, specifically, you think it ripped off. 

For the chorus of "Silly Love Songs" by PM & Wings, the first singing of the words "I Love You" is a similar melody and phrasing to the first "Take on Me" in its chorus...other than that, the songs couldn't really be much more different.  I think "Take on Me" is a great tune...and the video is Hall of Fame.

Wings - Silly Love Songs (Official Music Video) - YouTube

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mark Schmieder said:

McCartney is famous for saying no one recognized "Yesterday", and yet most jazz cats know the verse part.

I'd have to dig out my Real Book to reverify which famous standard it matches, but surely he heard his Dad play it.

The verse of “Yesterday” is known to have similar chords to the Ray Charles version of “Georgia On My Mind”, but the incomparable melody is very different.

Kurzweil PC4, Expressive E Osmose, UNO Synth Pro, Hammond B-3X on iPad, Rhodes Mark II Stage 73, ART 710-A MK4s

29 minutes ago, counterpoint said:

For the chorus of "Silly Love Songs" by PM & Wings, the first singing of the words "I Love You" is a similar melody and phrasing to the first "Take on Me" in its chorus...other than that, the songs couldn't really be much more different.  I think "Take on Me" is a great tune...and the video is Hall of Fame.

Not buying it.   While the sequence of notes (A E F#  vs G D E) is the same intervalically, the vibe and surrounding context is completely different.  

Plus they'd both have to sue the Grandfather Clock chime as it contains the same line. (G D E C).

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

1 hour ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Not buying it.   While the sequence of notes (A E F#  vs G D E) is the same intervalically, the vibe and surrounding context is completely different.  

Plus they'd both have to sue the Grandfather Clock chime as it contains the same line. (G D E C).

In case my use of double negative was confusing...I agree with you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, counterpoint said:

Yep, you got it. And though it's only a small part of the song, it is to my mind the very part of the song that lifted A-ha to top of charts, which is why I'm suspicious.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

2 hours ago, Jwave said:

The verse of “Yesterday” is known to have similar chords to the Ray Charles version of “Georgia On My Mind”, but the incomparable melody is very different.

Not the one I had in mind. Too busy to look it up. Yet more financial surprises today. California seems cheap compared to Northern Virginia, and at least doesn't lay constant hikes on you all year round. I have to spend way too much of my time rebudgeting each month.

11 hours ago, Mark Schmieder said:

Yep, you got it. And though it's only a small part of the song, it is to my mind the very part of the song that lifted A-ha to top of charts, which is why I'm suspicious.

Ooooohhhhh — "Silly Love Songs" is ONE PARTICULAR song! I'm not familiar; I thought you were referring to a type of song and couldn't figure. 

Thanks to all who clarified. 

FWIW, what made the song a hit is the whole thing; I'd argue that the synth hook is MUCH more essential to song recognition than the three notes beginning the chorus. And as others have writ, the context of those three notes is as different as could be. 

But yeah, I see what you mean, finally. 

• Like 2

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

Yeah, and I think this gets to the point about why this sort of stuff gets complicated in court, whether or not the people involved are musically literate or not. To some people, the flamenco-inspired arpeggio at the start of "Hotel California" is what makes the song, and what was likely borrowed, subconsciously or not, from The Eagles' touring mates Jethro Tull's "We Used to Know" (similar feel and chord progression, but played in a completely different fashion). And of course Spirit was touring with Led Zeppelin around the time "Stairway to Heaven" was written, but that song has so many sections to it, that it would be hard to pinpoint just one of them that "made" the song a hit.

As someone with primarily a jazz and classical background, I don't have a strong sense of ownership over melodies, and especially chord progressions as we constantly revoice in those genres, but certain songs trigger me if no one bothers to even point out the likely borrowing. Especially as I still resent Harrison being sued as I personally hear no strong similarity with "He's So Fine". Anyway, in A-ha's case, I always considered them a superficial image-oriented band, so I probably don't give them much slack.

Just a brief note on the "similarity": 

"Silly Love Songs"' chorus has a I —> IIIm —> IV, with the melody being the 5 of the I, the m7 of the IIIm, and the ^7 of the IV. 

"Take On Me"'s chorus has a I —> V/VII —> VIm, with the melody being the 1 of the I, the 1 of the V, and the 1 of the VIm. 

Apart from the actual distance in half-steps between the notes and the fact that they're held a full measure, switching with the chords, there is zero comparability: neither the feel of the notes themselves sitting in the chords, nor the harmonies themselves, nor the resolution. 

On 8/30/2023 at 8:44 AM, Stokely said:

Really like this version.  Kind of shows that a lot of these artists can go beyond their 80s pop versions (Kip Winger doing an acoustic version of 17 was pretty mind-blowing to  me many years ago, same with Richard Page doing acoustic guitar/vocals live with Mister Mister's Kyrie...)

Lots of weeping women in the audience.  I also wept when he didn't go for the high note, was really waiting for that. 😭

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud