Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

88 weighted key keyboard

88keez

I'm looking to buy an 88 weighted key keyboard.  It doesn't have to be a work station, but I need good quality sounds.  I've been looking at the Roland Phantom 08 (not the Phantom 😎 and the Yamaha CK88.  Does anyone have any experiences with these two boards or even any other suggestions?  My budget is around $3000 CDN.  Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

4 hours ago, 88keez said:

I'm looking to buy an 88 weighted key keyboard.  It doesn't have to be a work station, but I need good quality sounds.  I've been looking at the Roland Phantom 08 (not the Phantom 😎 and the Yamaha CK88.  Does anyone have any experiences with these two boards or even any other suggestions?  My budget is around $3000 CDN.  Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Are there certain types of uses you would be using this board for most? Recording cool sounds for compositions/productions, live keyboard performance? What are your music goals you want this board to help you achieve?

• Like 1

I’ve played a Fantom before briefly and enjoyed it quite a bit. I am a Yamaha guy and have had the CP88. The CK88 the only thing I did not like was the keys, they are weighted but I think after having the premium wood action on the CP it’s hard to go backwards as I now have the P515 with wood key action as well. Although those other keys are not bad by any means, I really like the wood keys feel! You could look at the Yamaha MODX8, it’s a pretty nice instrument from videos I’ve seen. Doesn’t have the wood key action, but it’s a pretty sweet deal. I’ve played the keys on one in my guitar center before and they’re alright! Right around your budget.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of using this new keyboard for live on stage and swapping it out for my Korg Kronos II that I use now.  (I want to use the Korg in my studio) I also use a Mac and a Native Instrument controller live.  So I need my 2nd keyboard to have as many good quality built in sounds with layering and splitting capability.  Anything else would be gravy.