Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

balanced and resonant tone from the drum

murphybridget

I just bought one at the thrift store for $3.50, it was in the "knick-knacks and had a hole torn in the head near one edge. It's handmade, guessing a goat skin, could be a sheep.

It sounded deep and full so I grabbed it. Since then, I've put some clear packing tape on both sides of the hole to reinforce it. It didn't come with a stick but I have a couple I could use. I like the sound using my hand though. It still sounds resonant, deep and beautiful. 

I don't know why and I have no tips except maybe to a walk-through at your local thrift stores every now and then. You truly never know what you will find there!

If I were going to buy a new one I'd probably get the Remo, it's inexpensive and I've had great luck with their Dumbek and bongos (more thrift store stuffs).

They sound great, are cheap and all you can do is just use them as-is, there is no hardware or way to change the heads. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, RABid said:

Your thrift stores are much more interesting that what I have in my small town,

Probably true, but not nearly as fruitful as the ones in Fresno, where I am from. 

Still, I'm a thrifter for life. I buy new sox, underwear and shoes but almost all of my clothing comes from thrift stores. It's not uncommon to find a garment with the original store tag still on it, new, unworn and dimes on the dollar. 

I've bought all sorts of fun music stuff over the years. If you do go to your thrift stores, always check the kid's toys. For some reason a huge variety of small percussion items end up there. I've got a box full of different shakers, clickers, clackers, tinky-tinky and boomy-boomy things that I found there. 

Persistence is key, random items appear and disappear constantly. There's no way to know what is going to be donated or when the workers will put it out on the shelf.

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, murphybridget said:

Thrift store are great place to find treasured items such as rare collectibles and custom musical instruments don't you guys think?

I once purchased a Gurian guitar at a Salvation Army in Fresno CA. It had some small, repairable cracks. I paid $65 for it and sold it as-is and fully described/photographed on eBay for almost $1,300. 

I have many other profitable purchases but none as good as that one. It does pay to keep an eye out!!!!

On 12/16/2023 at 1:41 AM, KuruPrionz said:

I once purchased a Gurian guitar at a Salvation Army in Fresno CA. It had some small, repairable cracks. I paid $65 for it and sold it as-is and fully described/photographed on eBay for almost $1,300. 

I have many other profitable purchases but none as good as that one. It does pay to keep an eye out!!!!

That's some treasure you found sir.

• Like 1