Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mini stand for mini keyboards?

Well, my GAS is not as it used to be some years ago, but still can't resist some bargains I find in the used market... So, in just three months, I have got my first two Yamaha Reface keyboards. First was a DX and, arrived just today, a CP.

So my question is... Imagine I want to make a mini setup using them. Is there a suitable stand for such tiny keyboards?. What would you use to place two of them stacked?. Even better if it can be expanded to four units in the future (I know I will end up with the full collection!). In the latter case, it would be a double stack with two keyboards on each level.

Pictures welcomed! 🤩

Thanks!

Jose

7 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

So my question is... Imagine I want to make a mini setup using them. Is there a suitable stand for such tiny keyboards?. What would you use to place two of them stacked?. Even better if it can be expanded to four units in the future (I know I will end up with the full collection!). In the latter case, it would be a double stack with two keyboards on each level.

Can't vouch for this personally yet but I've been meaning to do the same thing so I just ordered a couple:

https://kvgear.com/products/um2?variant=39309119946937

A general purpose desktop synth stand to fit a wide variety of small to medium sized drum machines, synths, samplers, Eurorack skiffs or controllers.

Fits (all tiers):  Keystep, Beatstep Pro, Reface, TD-3 and RD-6, 303 and 606, Avalon, most Elektrons (not Octatrack, A4 Mk II, Rytm Mk II), Dreadbox Nyx/Erebus/Hades, 0-Coast, nanoKEY Studio, nanoKONTROL Studio, Virus desktop, Remote Zero, Blofeld, Pulse 2, Eurorack desktop synths (DFAM, M32, Behringer), Ciat-Lonbarde.

Fits (upper tier only):  Octatrack, MPC Live, P6 and OB6 desktops, Circuit, Launchpad, Launchpad Pro, Squarp Pyramid, Rocket, Streichfett

spacer.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kanefsky said:

Can't vouch for this personally yet but I've been meaning to do the same thing so I just ordered a couple:

https://kvgear.com/products/um2?variant=39309119946937

A general purpose desktop synth stand to fit a wide variety of small to medium sized drum machines, synths, samplers, Eurorack skiffs or controllers.

Fits (all tiers):  Keystep, Beatstep Pro, Reface, TD-3 and RD-6, 303 and 606, Avalon, most Elektrons (not Octatrack, A4 Mk II, Rytm Mk II), Dreadbox Nyx/Erebus/Hades, 0-Coast, nanoKEY Studio, nanoKONTROL Studio, Virus desktop, Remote Zero, Blofeld, Pulse 2, Eurorack desktop synths (DFAM, M32, Behringer), Ciat-Lonbarde.

Fits (upper tier only):  Octatrack, MPC Live, P6 and OB6 desktops, Circuit, Launchpad, Launchpad Pro, Squarp Pyramid, Rocket, Streichfett

spacer.png

Interesting, I could build a similar thing using my CNC router and 6mm thick black methacrylate sheet (I have some material from a former professional life project)... This could be perfect for the studio 👌

But my aim was initially oriented to a floor unit, I mean, an stand similar to one for regular size keyboards, but for smaller units, ideally two stacked, if such a thing exists!

Jose

I was considering making a mini stand from a couple of cheap camera tripods from ebay with a beam  and cross pieces of some sort between them. Mainly for the fact that they are foldable and height adjustable. Just a thought that might provide some inspiration. 👍

• Like 1

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

3 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

Interesting, I could build a similar thing using my CNC router and 6mm thick black methacrylate sheet (I have some material from a former professional life project)... This could be perfect for the studio 👌

I was thinking of 3D-printing one similar to one that 3DWaves used to sell but I didn't think it was worth the time to recreate the design.  There are a couple publicly-available designs for a single tier you can download and print yourself such as this one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4255029

3 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

But my aim was initially oriented to a floor unit, I mean, an stand similar to one for regular size keyboards, but for smaller units, ideally two stacked, if such a thing exists!

I recently got a K&M 18880 for a different purpose (lightweight portable stand for an 88-key keyboard) and I was curious what a Reface (or two) would look like on that so I tried it:

reface-stand2.thumb.jpg.e727818bc5fdaf15658f43ceaeb991e0.jpg

Looks a little silly IMHO :)

K&M do sell 2nd and 3rd-tier stackers for the 18880 (18881 and 18882 respectively).

I think Sweetwater used to have a display with all four Refaces (Refacen?) in a 4-tier configuration using a Standtastic stand, probably something like this 103KS with one more tier added:

spacer.png

If you want a 2x2 configuration then I think the best solution is probably some kind of conventional stand or desk with a flat surface and tabletop stands like the KVgear or something similar on top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kanefsky said:

I was thinking of 3D-printing one similar to one that 3DWaves used to sell but I didn't think it was worth the time to recreate the design.  There are a couple publicly-available designs for a single tier you can download and print yourself such as this one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4255029

I recently got a K&M 18880 for a different purpose (lightweight portable stand for an 88-key keyboard) and I was curious what a Reface (or two) would look like on that so I tried it:

K&M do sell 2nd and 3rd-tier stackers for the 18880 (18881 and 18882 respectively).

I think Sweetwater used to have a display with all four Refaces (Refacen?) in a 4-tier configuration using a Standtastic stand, probably something like this 103KS with one more tier added:

spacer.png

If you want a 2x2 configuration then I think the best solution is probably some kind of conventional stand or desk with a flat surface and tabletop stands like the KVgear or something similar on top.

Thanks, great info!. And, yes, the K&M looks really silly 😁!

So perhaps the best way is to arrange them side by side, using a flat surface support, as you suggest. All in all, I doubt can play just with two Refaces, so the setup would be a double tier one, with a larger keyboard on the bottom tier, and the two Refaces on the upper one. When I complete the collection 😉, I could use two Refaces on each tier.

Take a look at this four Reface performance. Awesome!

Anyway, this is an experimental setup I want to play with. Right now, my gig setup is just a keyboard plus iPad for ForScore. But I have plenty of controllers and synths to combine and perhaps find a nice setup.

Thanks!

Jose

My plan is to have a first tier with a full-sized keyboard and a second tier with a shelf that can accommodate things like Refaces, Roland Boutiques, desktop modules (e.g. Prophet), and other small synths with the ability to swap them out fairly easily.  I'll use a BomeBox with a USB hub to connect everything via MIDI (also to power Boutiques) and do most of the playing from the keyboard on the first tier.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kanefsky said:

My plan is to have a first tier with a full-sized keyboard and a second tier with a shelf that can accommodate things like Refaces, Roland Boutiques, desktop modules (e.g. Prophet), and other small synths with the ability to swap them out fairly easily.  I'll use a BomeBox with a USB hub to connect everything via MIDI (also to power Boutiques) and do most of the playing from the keyboard on the first tier.

Yes, exactly as is evolving my thinking on setup!

The other one, using 4 Refaces is just for the fun of it 🤩

• Like 1

I have a modular rack that I can install additional supports as needed.  I'm still modifying it, but this is roughly what is looks like.

image.thumb.png.72593ad7435356cfac46de20cb33676f.png

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

i've posted this before elsewhere, but buy as many of these as you need. i paid 2 bucks each on fleabay (tho shipping is extra).you can hack them easily if need be for side by side and or multiple tiers ( i have done it).  sturdy, all metal, and fit the yammy cp/yc etc. perfect.  buy some wing screws & nuts and you can even make them foldable. (did that too)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393456381322?hash=item5b9bd3ed8a:g:~pEAAOSwg3li6UxY&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8LQAad3vQb3yXF1bNZG7xBnOVfr0edkwvN%2BOCbBsORaqNb5DAYbc%2F%2B01cekEThkBa8HGfr9x7lCkMFAgqcONwa8sNr6MYzHpS2yZLtJcEZl0zD8picJzA7MYSDDalesm%2BgfFfcnggP9r%2BPhdO%2FQdbmGJPrA0MVfUMhfFjh7zeRnSISdOazxsuE%2Br7g7%2BQONzl%2Fe8FQtDU8ejWXe2XILSanmDF2x%2FyMd5bdsHH21Uxl4fZWn%2FqvdRPZ2300mEZdYyE%2Bsuu3qCjLmHESvJ8nlFzpq1sJ28IYqTKSoXPcrgI2y7HTBASDR7yV9SjygOFVqrig%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_qW8_nDYg

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 8:45 AM, kanefsky said:

At least it's low weight, if you're thinking you might gig it. I mean, if you want to talk silly, would anyone want to travel with a 20 lb stand to hold a couple of 4 lb keyboards? 😉

With a stacker (or some other riser for the rear board), I think it would look fine. Here's a pic I posted a while back with a Reface-sized Hydrasynth over a small Casio 61, on that stand...

IMG_0526.JPG.737a819ac82ed9b0f43f81acbc8

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I actually ordered one of those Rock Band stands just for the heck of it, but I haven't had time to put it together yet.  I figure it could be a good way just to noodle around with a Reface or other mini keyboard on the couch.

I did finally get the KVGear stands and also a tempered glass shelf that I ordered for the second tier on my K&M Omega stand, so I can now show what that looks like with all the Refacen:

Refacen.thumb.jpg.c1ed3174a3b12f73391374c5d9e99cee.jpg

• Cool 1

On 8/23/2023 at 1:50 PM, AnotherScott said:

At least it's low weight, if you're thinking you might gig it. I mean, if you want to talk silly, would anyone want to travel with a 20 lb stand to hold a couple of 4 lb keyboards? 😉

With a stacker (or some other riser for the rear board), I think it would look fine. Here's a pic I posted a while back with a Reface-sized Hydrasynth over a small Casio 61, on that stand...

The one thing I didn't like about the 18880 stand is that it's somewhat large when it's collapsed and I didn't have much luck finding a case or bag to hold it that was a good fit and lightweight.  So I ordered one from Studio Slips and it just came in:

18880_bag.thumb.jpg.248e900b6934b569d4c1ef6c13b41924.jpg

Total weight for stand plus case: 8.0 pounds :).

I had to supply them the dimensions but now they've added it to their catalog so you can just select it.

• Like 1

My vote is skip the keyboard stand, and GET THIS LAPTOP TRIPOD:
https://www.amazon.com/Samson-Technologies-SALTS50-LTS50-Laptop/dp/B00OZES766/ref=asc_df_B00OZES766/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309779531175&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6583541762318668211&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033977&hvtargid=pla-343408319212&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=62412137260&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309779531175&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6583541762318668211&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033977&hvtargid=pla-343408319212

I have 4 of em. They're solid, they swivel, tilt, lock, and they're good enough for my 15lb PolyD! I even lean mine over backwards and play vertical (keytar style), and it works wonders. I liked it so much I bought a few and leave one at my practice space. My wife uses one for her mini synth when we play with our band.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

43 minutes ago, EricBarker said:

My vote is skip the keyboard stand, and GET THIS LAPTOP TRIPOD:

I have one of those and I don't think I'd ever want to use it as a stand for a mini keyboard.  It's very big, heavy, and ungainly compared to the eBay stand (it actually weighs almost twice as much as the K&M 18880 mentioned above which can hold 100 lbs).

Stands for a 15lb keyboard should be a subject for a different thread, although stands that can hold several mini keyboards would be in line with the original poster's question.

A friend of mine made this stand for my DX an YC.

IMG_2488.thumb.JPG.467bd9ee7bd2d4156c9d5261146ef1c8.JPGIMG_2490.thumb.JPG.12c52f19c5ab847523662003038866a5.JPG

IMG_2492.JPG

IMG_2491.JPG

• Like 2

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com