Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Hurricanes AND Earthquake

I just wanted to take this opportunity to wish our SoCal and any other forumites affected by tropical storm Hilary well. That seems weird to say since that pretty much never happens, but I hope it's no more than an inconvenience. Having been through several of these things, they can be mild, and almost fun, like a snow day from school, or they can be really, really bad for some. I hope it's just a wet Sunday.

And I just saw there was a 5.1 magnitude earthquake centered near Ojai. Who did you guys piss off? ;) 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

7 minutes ago, Joe Muscara said:

IAnd I just saw there was a 5.1 magnitude earthquake centered near Ojai. Who did you guys piss off? ;) 

Not sure, but whoever it is I hope they’re feeling better now.  Ojai is 28 miles from my house… 😳

Luckily, the storm has been average so far…but it’s still on the Baja.  It’ll get much closer to us in a few more hours.

dB

• Sad 2

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

My sincerest hopes for everyone to stay safe.

You would think Idaho would be out of the reach of a Pacific hurricane, but nope.  We are under a flood watch/warning through tomorrow night.  Oh, fun, lets bring in everything off of the deck including the barrel planter decorations.  I do not expect to have any real damage from the floods and goodness knows the dirt and vegetation is dying of thirst, but there will possibly be people stranded in remote areas from mud slides and rock slides.  I am hoping that does not happen.

• Sad 1

“A magnitude 5.1 earthquake was reported Sunday afternoon near Ojai in Ventura County.

The temblor was felt across Southern California and hit at 2:41 p.m. ‘There are no immediate reports of damage at this time however the quake was felt extensively throughout Ventura County’ - Ventura County Officials “ - LA Times 

I’ve a friend or two near Santa Paula quite jolted by the boom. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I live by the most northern border of L.A. County in the high desert.   So far only like a normal heavy rain, only disaster was Starbucks had to close their drive thru and that a lot of people driving in circles they forget they could park and walk in.  <grin>.

The earthquake was a surprise it didn't last long, but it did make me turn on my TV for first time in ages.   

I'm cringing in sympathy, because I've lived through two hurricanes. Its frightening while you hunker down, daunting as you clean up the considerable mess afterwards and grinding as you throw out spoiled food and live off of a series of health bars. Maui is heartbreaking, so I'm hoping hard for a lesser blow to California than expected. Then there's that appearance of flesh-eating bacteria at several beaches, which makes JAWS seem quaint. FEMA is running out of money. Welcome to global warming v.2.0. Fingers crossed for CA.🤞

• Love 1

"It ain't over 'til the fat despot sings."
     ~ "X-Men '97"

I live about 5 miles from the epicenter. Not to make light of anyone who actually sustained damage but it was pretty mild by LA-native standards. On the other hand, we lost half a tree to the rain and wind. The storm’s not bad out here in Ventura but my wife pointed out that we don’t usually get this much rain when the trees are in full bloom (thanks to the extra rain earlier in the year). We’re probably going to see a lot more snapped branches in the months to come. Strange days indeed…

• Like 1

Kurzweil PC4-7, NE-6, Roland FA06, MODX-7, Numa Compact 2x

4 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

“A magnitude 5.1 earthquake was reported Sunday afternoon near Ojai in Ventura County.

The temblor was felt across Southern California and hit at 2:41 p.m. ‘There are no immediate reports of damage at this time however the quake was felt extensively throughout Ventura County’ - Ventura County Officials “ - LA Times 

I’ve a friend or two near Santa Paula quite jolted by the boom. 

Santa Paula is just over the hill from me.  Thousand Oaks is on the southeastern border of Ventura County.

It went on for just short of ten seconds.  It was one more intense ones I’ve felt since we started living here a quarter of a century ago.  More a bunch of rolling than jolts for us.

dB

14 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Yes safe travels/etc everyone out there. I have a friend in Oregon where out of control fires are a huge issue, so hoping that rain finds its way north!  

Seattleite here, I'm basically locked inside cause of how rough the air quality is right now from surrounding areas. Fortunately the next couple days, rain is expected to fall in some of the areas where these fires have been raging.

• Like 1

We had a big send up from the weather folks on this one, but the reality was much more modest. A good long soaking rain around here at least, but no hurricane force winds as predicted. I just drove in to work with no flooding, downed trees or much of anything out of the ordinary. I am calling in from the south bay near the coast.

• Like 4

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

9 hours ago, Threadslayer said:

We had a big send up from the weather folks on this one, but the reality was much more modest. A good long soaking rain around here at least, but no hurricane force winds as predicted.

Same up here.  No squalls to speak of, as far as we could tell. :idk:

Heck, they managed to have a preseason game at SoFi between the Saints and Chargers yesterday at 4, which is right about when the storm was supposed to peak in that area.

dB

• Like 2

I'm in Ojai, also about 5 miles from epicenter. It got our attention for sure, but I was about the same distance in Sherman Oaks to the epicenter of the Northridge quake back in '93....and this was not that thankfully. Hopefully it relieved some pressure on that particular fault and we won't be hearing from it again for awhile.

But this is SoCal after all......lotta fault lines around these parts...

• Like 4