Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mixer for live performances

88keez

Lots of threads here on this to search through.  

I use a MOTU 828x which allows me to take multiple stereo inputs from keyboards as well as a couple click track inputs (I generate click from my Kronos or Fantom), a PC, and a stereo feed from front of house, and I output 3 channels - stereo keys out and click. The mixer runs 3 busses - FOH send which contains my keyboards and laptop, my mix which includes all my stuff plus clicks and monitor send from house, and just a click feed.  All this in 1U. Control is via PC app, but I virtually never change anything. If you run a wireless router, you can get iPAD control, but I haven’t bothered because I so rarely change settings.

11 minutes ago, TJ Cornish said:

Lots of threads here on this to search through.  

I use a MOTU 828x which allows me to take multiple stereo inputs from keyboards as well as a couple click track inputs (I generate click from my Kronos or Fantom), a PC, and a stereo feed from front of house, and I output 3 channels - stereo keys out and click. The mixer runs 3 busses - FOH send which contains my keyboards and laptop, my mix which includes all my stuff plus clicks and monitor send from house, and just a click feed.  All this in 1U. Control is via PC app, but I virtually never change anything. If you run a wireless router, you can get iPAD control, but I haven’t bothered because I so rarely change settings.

Does the 828x function standalone?  It has its own clock?  Doesn't need to get clock from a laptop or other master device?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I use a Key Largo, with the monitor outs pre-connected to a Rolls headphone amp (for IEMs when we aren't using our Behringer XR18, in which case I use a PM16 as I get stereo :) )  I have also used the monitor out with a powered speaker when I can't use IEMs.

Main reason I got one--when they were cheaper--was because I was shopping for DIs, and figured might as well just upgrade the mixer and get the DIs at the same time.  I use it even with one keyboard, as it's on my pedalboard--this solves the main annoyance with it, which is the wall wart.  I have the warts from it, the PM16 and the Rolls all pre-connected and velcroed to the underside of the pedalboard to a strip, so there's only one power connection needed at the gig.

If I decide to add a 2nd keyboard, or even a 3rd (which I won't), it's the same rig.  The pedalboard bag fits nicely into the Husky rolling toolcart that has all my other stuff including a mic boom.  I'm really happy logistically, it's almost impossible for me to forget something as there's no loose bits :) 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Does the 828x function standalone?  It has its own clock?  Doesn't need to get clock from a laptop or other master device?

It does stand alone. It can act as an audio interface, but I don’t typically use soft synths, so usually I use the computer to play rehearsal tracks and then tear it down for the gig and run only with my live boards. The 828x is about the perfect amount of IO for me - Thunderbolt for computer, some ADAT optical stuff that I use for some loop back functions, and 8 analog inputs/10 analog outputs or whatever it is.

I have a patch panel on the front and back of my rack where I have easy access to the IO I need - XLR on the back for house integration, and TRS on the front for inputs.

For those using it more for computer stuff, Thunderbolt is nice as it has very low latency.

I’ve run it since 2015, and full disclosure, the display died several years ago (backlight - text is still there, you just can’t see it), and one output got noisy (I don’t do over-the-road gigs, but I travel, so I suspect it got bumped around and got a cold solder joint. I just swapped to another output. When the bank account recovers from a bunch of house projects I would like to update it to the 828es, but it has served me well for 8 years now, and the price is reasonable. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Zalman Stern said:

Flow 8 is not listed in their supported mixers and I'm pretty sure it is not supported. Mixing Station works with mixers that are controlled over a network. Flow 8 only has USB and Bluetooth. Possible he'll add B:uetooth/USB/MIDI at some point...

-Z-

Thanks.   Bing Chat lied to me last night; it said Mixing Station is compatible with the Flow 8.   When I asked about the lie this morning, it says, "I apologize for any confusion. The Mixing Station app is not compatible with the Behringer FLOW 8 mixer. The FLOW 8 mixer can be controlled remotely using the FLOW Mix app, which is available for both iOS and Android devices.   A robot "misinformed" me!   Last night, it didn't mention anything about the FLOW Mix app at all.   Anyway, the Flow 8 seems to meet all the requirements the OP mentioned.    

1 hour ago, CEB said:

Loose bits suck!

I blame my loose brain more than the loose bits.  But it's the only one I have so I have to compensate.

If I change anything up on my rig, say I'm doing a quick one-set gig, and I don't put things back right away--I'm screwed somehow at the next band gig.  
If I rely on anything not in a noticeable big cases--like a mic stand--chances are good I'll forget it at some point.   Mics, IEMs, boom, pedalboard, these all go in my rolling case.  I get tempted to take things out to make a little backpack rig and I always end up regretting it :) 

I still have not found anything that I like better than the Ashley LX-308B stereo line mixer. A bit expensive for a 1U mixer, but Ashley makes great stuff. These have been around a long time so you can usually find a used one on Ebay for cheap.

All 8 channels have stereo in.

Separate volume knob for headphones.

Each channel has level, pan and mute. All I need.

• Like 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page