Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How NOT to attach pedals to a pedalboard.

surfergirl

In one of my many stupid moments I decided to attach my pedals using 2 sided tape. When I went to remove them to change pedals around it was almost impossible. The small pedals came off with a bit of twisting, but not easily. The Klon and Deluxe Electric Mistress not so much. First I tried a putty knife to no avail. This morning I was determined to get it done. So I went with Klon first, if I was going to Break something I'd break the $30 pedal. I took the largest screwdriver I had, jammed it under as far as I could and pried it off. It wasn't easy, but it came off undamaged. I then removed the DEM. Velcro is now my friend.

• Like 4

Jennifer S.

I needed my stuff mounted very well because of the way it was transported.  This piece of gear is your friend.  I use the military grade dual lok.  The difference is the adhesives can withstand a wider range of temperatures before failure.  The pedals can be really hard to get off.  

I think I posted this before and got laughs ... but I was serious about the pry bar.  I guess it is difference between playing at home and having your gear hauled in trailers.

02529_W3.jpg

• Like 3

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I am playing gigs again.  Started about a month ago after retiring from music in January.  I'm just doing small time local stuff.   It was friend's band.  My predecessor has Parkinson's and to quit.   I am using a small board and used Velcro on it.  I have since removed Tremolo, which I wasn't using and added a digital delay.   Maybe I will swap out the analog delay for a GE-7 also.  I’m not a big effects guy. I have simple tastes.

But stuff gets hot inside my white cargo van.  This is what it has done to the Velcro in a month of local weekend warrior gigs. The Velcro has slid off the the cross pieces of the pedal board and come loose from some of the pedals  It will get worse between now and Labor Day.   I am going to have to do something different than the Velcro. ... or maybe I can glue the Velcro on with a construction adhesive.  I don't know.

0578204F-D9A7-4E2F-9764-BA483EA702BF.jpeg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, CEB said:

I needed my stuff mounted very well because of the way it was transported.  This is your piece of gear is your friend.  I use the military grade dual lok.  The difference is the adhesives can withstand a wider range of temperatures before failure.  The pedals can be really hard to get off.  

I think I posted this before and got laughs ... but I was serious about the pry bar.  I guess it is difference between play at home and having your gear hauled in trailers.

02529_W3.jpg

The crow bar was my next option. My Grandpa started an appliance repair/handyman business when the sugar mill closed, so I have every tool available.

• Like 3

Jennifer S.

I know a lot of people use large zip ties.  Very secure.  And if you NEED to remove something, a quick snip with heavy shears or a good knife will do the trick.

• Like 3

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

12 hours ago, surfergirl said:

In one of my many stupid moments I decided to attach my pedals using 2 sided tape. When I went to remove them to change pedals around it was almost impossible. The small pedals came off with a bit of twisting, but not easily. The Klon and Deluxe Electric Mistress not so much. First I tried a putty knife to no avail. This morning I was determined to get it done. So I went with Klon first, if I was going to Break something I'd break the $30 pedal. I took the largest screwdriver I had, jammed it under as far as I could and pried it off. It wasn't easy, but it came off undamaged. I then removed the DEM. Velcro is now my friend.

Don't feel bad. My first "pedalboard" was an odd shaped piece of plywood with duct-tape holding everything down. I still have residual goo on some pedals... ! It DID get the job done, though, at a time when I had practically zero money and had been invited to join a band...

9 hours ago, CEB said:

I use the military grade dual lok. The difference is the adhesives can withstand a wider range of temperatures before failure.  The pedals can be really hard to get off.  

Having worked with that before, I can see that. Good, VERY reliable stuff!

9 hours ago, CEB said:

But stuff gets hot inside my white cargo van.  This is what it has done to the Velcro in a month of local weekend warrior gigs. The Velcro has slid off the the cross pieces of the pedal board and come loose from some of the pedals  It will get worse between now and Labor Day.   I am going to have to do something different than the Velcro. ... or maybe I can glue the Velcro on with a construction adhesive.  I don't know.

Why not replace the Velcro with the Dual-Lock that you'd had success with before?

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I should take the time to do it. I might need to order some more.  It would allow me to mount  some pedals from my big board I like better like the switchless Crybaby. I like the sound of the Killer Wail but sometimes I accidentally leave it on. Also I like the Ego and Sparkle Drive. The Route 66 covers both in one pedal but going back would be an option.   I should bring over my newest Strobostomp but I still like these old model 2s. 

The mini volume is convenient but I could off board a Goodrich volume pedal and make more room. 

• Like 3

I've played out in the D.C. Summer heat, and never had the adhesive on the Velcro give out like that. I have to wonder how the circuits and solder joints in your pedals are liking that heat treatment?

• Like 3

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com