Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any fans of Amon Duul II?

One in many bands to compete in the krautrock sweepstakes, Amon Duul II was one of the biggest and best artists of that genre. Named after a German political movement, Amon Duul II released their debut album, Phallus Dei, in 1969 on United Artists Records. This blast of psychedelic rock didn’t get much airplay, but showcased the group’s experimental music and colorful rhythm section. Their second album, Yeti, was a double album released in 1970 which influenced the likes of Tangerine Dream, Can, Brian Eno and Laurie Anderson. Many hardcore psychedelic rock fans consider Yeti to be Amon Duul II’s best album. Among the members included bassist Dave Anderson, who left after their first album to join fellow progressive act Hawkwind, as well as Popul Vuh members Daniel Fischelschauer and Renate Knapp. They still continue to record to this day, even working on some movie soundtracks throughout Germany and other parts of Europe. Who knows? You may have even heard a few Amon Duul II songs on college radio. A friend of mine listened to some Amon Düül II albums after I recommended it to him and he really liked it.

• Like 1

Actually, yes. I came onboard with "Hijack," via "Archy the Robot." Going back a few releases, I came across "Yeti," whose influences you can hear in other places because it set a new, weird standard. I was discovering Kraan, Eloy, Popol Vuh & the like during that period, but Amon Duul II made a bigger splash. They should definitely be on the list if you're going to dig around in that era.

• Like 1

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty
 and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life- so I became a scientist.

This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
      ~ Matt Cartmill

On 8/10/2023 at 9:19 AM, IMMusicRulz said:

They still continue to record to this day, even working on some movie soundtracks throughout Germany and other parts of Europe.

I did not know that! I thought they had faded into musical history. The things you learn on SSS...