Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Juno DS-61: maximizing the keyboard - expansion sounds, other

Jamkeys2000

I purchased the Juno DS-61 this past spring.  I use it with a digital piano (Casio Priva) - so far home studio only, no gigs (I don't get many gigs).  Prior to the purchase, I used a controller as my synth.  I use Sampletank 4 primarily as my midi software.  I posted in a previous thread on the forum that I switch to Korg Gadget/Module.   I use that at well, but I have found that Sampletank works pretty well as midi software and has some better sounds - I had to test thousands of sounds on the Sampletank app  to find decent ones.

So far with the Juno DS-61, I find it fairly intuitive to use, synth key action pretty good, fairly solid construction, lightweight.  However, the sounds don't measure up to the midi software sounds and am still using it more as a controller.  Below are my questions:

1) Sounds - Not that happy with the sounds.  Wish I could have tried the VR-09.  So many positive posts on the VR-09.  But I couldn't find it anywhere to try it out.  With the Juno DS, have tried loading in the expansion sounds/patches from the Axial website.  I am realizing I can only load in one expansion pack.  Is that accurate?  I have to pick one of the ten?  That isn't made clear on the Axial website or almost anywhere else on the web.  Would you know if the same is true for the Presets A-G?  Is it the case with the Presets that there are a certain number of "User" sounds I can add and that therefore limits the Presets I can load?

2) Midi set up - the Juno DS-61 has a DAW mode for using midi software.  It works pretty well.   RIght now, I attach my two keyboards to my midi software/IPAD/PC running midi to USB cables from each keyboard to the computer.  I would like to be able to attach the Privia (Midi out) to the Juno (Midi In) with a traditional midi cable.  I want to be able to use the Privia as a controller with the Juno DS sounds.  Also, with that midi setup, hoped I could connect the Privia to the Juno and then the Juno to the computer.  Can't figure out how to do either of these things right now.

Thanks for any suggestions on any of the above!

Casio Privia PX-300,  Roland Juno DS-61, Yamaha NP-30, Sampletank 4, Korg Module and Gadget (IPad Air), Roland Juno 106, Mackie Pro FX-6

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finding I actually can connect the Privia to the Juno with the traditional midi cord and control the Juno DS.  (and the piano/EP Juno sounds sound better with the digital piano).  Still would like to know whether the Privia signal could then go through the Juno midi usb to the computer (I don't think it can).  Also the #1  question

of my 1st post.

Casio Privia PX-300,  Roland Juno DS-61, Yamaha NP-30, Sampletank 4, Korg Module and Gadget (IPad Air), Roland Juno 106, Mackie Pro FX-6

I have  Juno DS-88 and a VR-09. The Juno has far better pianos, the VR-09 has better organ. As far as the synth sounds go they're not easily comparable. The vr09 is (weirdly) how I imagine an old juno with it's 3 osc engine, the Juno DS is how I imagine an M1 with it's rich complex pads and effects. There's a good chunk of overlap of course, they're similar in lots of ways. I haven't messed with the Axial stuff because it's on loan from my dear old Dad.

7 hours ago, Jamkeys2000 said:

With the Juno DS, have tried loading in the expansion sounds/patches from the Axial website.  I am realizing I can only load in one expansion pack.  Is that accurate?  I have to pick one of the ten?  That isn't made clear on the Axial website or almost anywhere else on the web.  Would you know if the same is true for the Presets A-G?

Correct, you can only have on expansion pack loaded at a time. Not sure about the Preset A-G libraries (adapted XV-5080 sounds).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks for the clarification - I thought that might be the case - 1 expansion pack.  It would be better to be able to upload more than one, or have them combined, but I presume there is a memory consideration.

WIth my synth board, organ is an important instrument, as well as synth sounds, and EP to a lesser degree.  I am seeing that expansion pack "2 Keys" has a lot of those type of sounds so I uploaded that.

With the XV-5080 Collection Presets, I believe I have a maximum of 256 User presets I can upload to the Juno DS.  So, what I did was open the Juno Library App and went through the 8 collections and picked 256 sounds I thought I might like.  I used the Library app to copy and write the 256 to my Juno DS.  

I've listened to some of the added organ sounds and other sounds and it seems like a good improvement.  

16 minutes ago, Jamkeys2000 said:

I used the Library app to copy and write the 256 to my Juno DS. 

Excellent for creating customized user banks.

That way, there's no getting stuck with  expansion pack(s) full of sounds never to be used anytime anywhere at all.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"