Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Busking

Chris Link

I’ve thought about getting a battery-powered piano and seeing if some friends who play trumpet and sax might be interested in setting up on a corner in the Old Market district downtown. 

Is busking the bottom feeder of live playing or a legitimate pursuit? Will family and friends cross the street to avoid me? 

• Like 1

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

The Roland Go Piano 88 looks like one of the better options. Maybe plug a small Bose speaker into the headphone output to get some volume? 

• Like 1

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

2 hours ago, Chris Link said:

I’ve thought about getting a battery-powered piano and seeing if some friends who play trumpet and sax might be interested in setting up on a corner in the Old Market district downtown. 

Is busking the bottom feeder of live playing or a legitimate pursuit? Will family and friends cross the street to avoid me? 

My half sister and I have been busking for four months, two guitars, 2 Boss Street Cube ll amps, Joyo rechargeable power supplies and some effects. We do about 10 hours a week. Our tips are pretty good. Bottom feeder or legitimate pursuit, I don't know. Most fun I've ever had playing, hell yes.

Jennifer S.

Regarding busking, as a passer-by I often find myself rather annoyed by most of the buskers. For many reasons:

- It adds to the noise and I think many people underestimate the effect of noise in our everyday life 

- Many of these musicians overestimate their abilities. Well, yeah, there are some brilliant ones that made me stop and listen and wowed me, and consequently earned a reward. But most of the time it’s just people that are not good enough

- We have different tastes for music

- Where there’s one busker, there’s another and it quickly creates a cacophony (and noise, see first bullet)

- Basically it’s an uncalled “concert”. I may be having a phone call or listening to some music on headphones and the loud music messes up with it

I know it sounds negative and nagging but that’s who I am and since you asked about opinions 😀 I just very rarely appreciate buskers…

I love Street Music and miss it a lot.    One of the things I loved about living in Boston was all the street music.   Growing up around Venice and Santa Monica quite a bit of street music.   I think the community vibe and people stopping for a while to take a moment and enjoy something  together.    Like community street fairs and sharing art, food, and music.   It's all good bring people together. 

And on a Jazzier side.....

11 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Regarding busking, as a passer-by I often find myself rather annoyed by most of the buskers.

- It adds to the noise and I think many people underestimate the effect of noise in our everyday life

- Basically it’s an uncalled “concert”. I may be having a phone call or listening to some music on headphones and the loud music messes up with it

I know it sounds negative and nagging but that’s who I am and since you asked about opinions 😀 I just very rarely appreciate buskers…

Most places only allow busking in certain areas. So, it should be easy enough to avoid them unless you just have to be in the same location for some reason (business or work). 

@TommyS, even after 4 years at Juilliard, playing on a street corner could be more fun and rewarding than being a music teacher.😁😎 

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"