Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reviews of digital synths by analogphiles

Radagast

I only watched bits of the video, but he seems to come around to liking it fairly quickly (even though he initially thought he'd send it back and says that he wasn't a fan of the PPG), and he plays a bunch of sounds that are definitely not analog-sounding, so I didn't get the impression that he was only interested in analog synths. He's got a D50 and a DX7II behind him, so that also seems to indicate that he's not only into analog.

reminded me of this, either Nick wanted it to be something that it's not or he has chosen to take that angle to highlight to analogphiles that despite the name it is not what they were thinking.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

9 hours ago, niacin said:

reminded me of this, either Nick wanted it to be something that it's not or he has chosen to take that angle to highlight to analogphiles that despite the name it is not what they were thinking.

That keyboard is actually more interesting than most other current keyboards.

11 hours ago, niacin said:

When I saw the title of this thread Nick was the first person I thought of, but in opposite context. Some of his early budget analog reviews are awful because he expects them to do everything that a digital can do and does not seem to under stand the cost involved in making analog gear pull off those esoteric tricks that can be programmed into digital. "This 3 oscillator analog synth sounds good for what it does but it would be so much better if they let you sample, and it is only monophonic. They should have added more voices. And it needs more modulation routings. And the sequencer will only play one note at a time..."

After a few of those reviews I unsubscribed to his channel.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Oxymoronic for an analog-phile to review a digital synth. 😁

Pointing out any differences between an analog and digital synth is an unnecessary exercise. 

Analog or digital, a synth is a sound design tool to make noise or music or both. 

But, I recognize YouTube has a way of making folks critics or subject matter experts.🤣😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

My favorite is when they argue with me about how the original OB-X or (older synth) sounded. 

I mean, I lived through the entire period. I don't need some young guy arguing with me about how the keyboards I used to live with sounded.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 2

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

5 hours ago, ProfD said:

Pointing out any differences between an analog and digital synth is an unnecessary exercise.

:yeahthat:I can think of a few similar exercises, but that one is holographic enough for me. 

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"