Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need help with AKAI EWI5000

Hi all,

Cross-posting from KC, as suggested by a member there.

Sorry for the OT but I guess someone here may have an EWI5000 and could help me. That instrument has inside an 8GB microSD card (using less than 2GB actually) to store the samples it uses and, on my unit, it has failed.

I would need a copy of the files on it. It is formatted as FAT32, so it is easily readable. Accessing to it needs the removal of some screws, but I have plenty of pictures of ithe procedure and can explain it in detail, it is really not difficult nor dangerous for the instrument.

Please, if you can help, send me a private message.

Thanks a lot!

Jose

PS: this is the current status of my EWI5000, waiting for the donnor MicroSD 😄

IMG_20230707_171107.jpg.843892bbdaa83ebf532a8b6ebfd1a4c9.thumb.jpg.b064953be36c47eb7b56c0b8ea6b42da.jpg

There are a bunch of downloads available on the Akai site. They don't include the samples, but there is an editor. Maybe that can access the samples so someone doesn't have to take apart their EWI5000?

This EWI-specific website looks promising, they might have an answer for you. Might as well try Akai support as well. Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Anderton said:

There are a bunch of downloads available on the Akai site. They don't include the samples, but there is an editor. Maybe that can access the samples so someone doesn't have to take apart their EWI5000?

This EWI-specific website looks promising, they might have an answer for you. Might as well try Akai support as well. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your message, but there is no way to access exernally to those files. I found a YT video on which the owner of an EWI5000 got the memory out and made a copy of it... Unfortunately, I have not been able to contact him so far. The Patchmanmusic WEB is a good resource for new sounds for the EWI4000S (which is a synth), but the EWI5000 is a different beast (a sampler) and the sounds can't be replaced.

My last resource would be AKAI support, but I dont think they will be eager to provide those files to me. Anyway, I will try.

I am still hoping someone will have the MicroSD copied or could take apart his EWI. It is really easy, trust me, just being careful to keep the screews sorted in order, there is nothing else to remove not any clipped part. The cover can be taken out in few minutes, without harm to the instrument. But yes, I know it is not the usual thing most people will do!

Thanks!

Jose

There is a windcontroller forum https://www.patchmanmusic.com/forum/ here. The people are very helpful, and the host of the forum owns and repairs EWIs.

I play a Yamaha WX5 so I don't know enough about the EWI, but someone on that forum should be know exactly what to do.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

• Thanks 1

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

30 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

There is a windcontroller forum https://www.patchmanmusic.com/forum/ here. The people are very helpful, and the host of the forum owns and repairs EWIs.

I play a Yamaha WX5 so I don't know enough about the EWI, but someone on that forum should be know exactly what to do.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Oh yes, that is a great idea!. I was even registered on that forum, but forgot about it regarding this problem. Oh well, I am getting old... 😅

I have asked there, thanks for the hint on the forum existence! (I had in mind the Patchmanmusic page, but not the forum!)

22 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

The Patchmanmusic WEB is a good resource for new sounds for the EWI4000S (which is a synth), but the EWI5000 is a different beast (a sampler) and the sounds can't be replaced.

They do carry the EWI5000 and say "You will not find another dealer who can answer your EWI SOLO, EWI5000, or EWI USB, questions the way we can." Because they're a store, you might have to pay them to copy the sounds to an SD card and send it to you, but if all else fails, it would get your EWI5000 back up and running.

I wonder if there might be a less drastic solution, like a full factory reset, or reloading the most recent firmware version. It also might be worth seeing if your computer can recognize your SD card. Maybe the problem isn't the SD card itself, but the contacts that connect to it becoming corroded, or something weird like that.

1 hour ago, Anderton said:

They do carry the EWI5000 and say "You will not find another dealer who can answer your EWI SOLO, EWI5000, or EWI USB, questions the way we can." Because they're a store, you might have to pay them to copy the sounds to an SD card and send it to you, but if all else fails, it would get your EWI5000 back up and running.

I wonder if there might be a less drastic solution, like a full factory reset, or reloading the most recent firmware version. It also might be worth seeing if your computer can recognize your SD card. Maybe the problem isn't the SD card itself, but the contacts that connect to it becoming corroded, or something weird like that.

When I said that the MicroSD card failed, I meant trying to read it on a PC. FIles are listed but, when accessing most of them, they throw an error after a while. And I have already tried to fix it using repair tools (as the famous chkdsdk command). So I know for sure it is faulty (I have worked on PCs since 1986 or so...)

Factory reset, BTW, has been also performed (I did it before finding out the MicroSD problem). Also, the firmware is just part of the full data this unit uses. Just looking at the file sizes proves it. Firmware is lots smaller than the about 2GB used by the samples. And the firmware is stored on another memory. The MicroSD is just a sample storage system on this unit. It stores also the changes made to the voices, but not OS nor firmware.

So, well, I am trying to find someone who has copied it (it is close to impossible nobody has done it already!) and also looking for EWI5000s local to me, trying to buy another one with another problem, and such. I am in Spain, so there is no way I would ship it to USA to be fixed, it just too cumbersome and expensive. All in all, I am stubborn enough and will find a way! 😅

Jose

22 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

I am in Spain, so there is no way I would ship it to USA to be fixed, it just too cumbersome and expensive.

What I'm suggesting is that maybe they would sell you an SD card that contains the samples, and you could install it yourself. Then (unless I'm missing something, I'm not familiar at all with the EWI5000), you wouldn't have to send the unit to the USA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anderton said:

What I'm suggesting is that maybe they would sell you an SD card that contains the samples, and you could install it yourself. Then (unless I'm missing something, I'm not familiar at all with the EWI5000), you wouldn't have to send the unit to the USA.

OK, I see, sorry for the confusion.

Well, that is a possibility. Being a current model it should be feasible.

My wife has the EWI 5000 I bought for her birthday three or four years ago. We actually had to order a new battery for it that I installed recently. I'd be glad to help you out but the timing is bad, we're leaving tomorrow for a cruise and will be off the grid until late this month. If you can wait until after the 29th or so I can help.

7 minutes ago, Greg Mein said:

My wife has the EWI 5000 I bought for her birthday three or four years ago. We actually had to order a new battery for it that I installed recently. I'd be glad to help you out but the timing is bad, we're leaving tomorrow for a cruise and will be off the grid until late this month. If you can wait until after the 29th or so I can help.

Yes, this is not an urgent matter, thanks!

Have a nice trip 😃

Jose

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates to this thread... I bought another cheap (150€), not working EWI5000. And, guess what?. The fault, even if it showed a cryptic 1.7 or 1.5 message on the display, was also related to the MicroSD (are we looking at a pattern here?). So, after some struggling, out of desperation, I decided to mix the sample files from EWI#2 with the other smaller files of EWI#1. And it booted and worked! 🤯

There are some corrupted samples, so I still need a good copy of the MicroSD contents, but now I am sure the only problem with both units is a damaged MicroSD. So, once I get the good files, I will have two working EWI5000 🥳

I hope @Greg Mein can provide me with the good files and so they will be fully operational 👍🏻

I have returned home and am catching up on some new and old issues around here. In regard to this I have a problem I'm working on; before we left my 12 year old Dell XPS 8500 desktop crashed. It's a pain of course but I actually use my Macs most of the time. The problem is that the Dell had SD card reader slots whereas my Macs do not.

On the PC front it looks dismal for repairing my Win 10 install but fortunately I had an old HD laying around and have brought it back to life with the Win 7 disk that came with the computer new. Also I was able to go to my account on the Dell website and download all the drivers for this computer which should be a beautiful thing.

I might even be able to use my Mac. I'm sure I have a USB SD card reader around and it's just occurred to me where I might find it.

Anyway I expect I'll be able to pursue this within the next couple of days.

• Like 1

I opened up the EWI today and pulled the SD card. I uploaded the files to a dropbox location, message me an email and I can give access.

I put my wife's EWI back together and it seems to be working although she's rather unhappy that I took it apart for this. Hope that helps!

IMG_4381.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-08-02 at 9.18.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-02 at 9.16.50 AM.png

• Thanks 1

Just a fast UPDATE on this topic. I got the files Greg graciously uploaded, put them on my EWI5000 and it works flawlessly now! 🎉

BIG THANKS to Greg for his help on this and to this Forum for hosting such wonderful people! 🤩

Jose

• Like 1

Great job, Greg!!! If I knew your wife, I'd tell her that she probably loves you because you're a nice guy, and this just re-confirms it :)

But it also means that if her SD card dies (which sounds like it's not uncommon), you have the files to get her back into action with a new SD card. So it's a win-win, right?

• Like 1

It's a good feeling to be able to help, my wife is even ok with it in retrospect, 😀. And yes it's true, having these files now backed up in a secure location could be invaluable someday.

It wasn't a big issue, really only cost me a little time. I'm far from adverse to digging into electronic gear, during a 30 year career as an electronic tech I tore into some of the world's most sophisticated avionics and communications equipment on a daily basis.

I'll add this to my list of positive things I've experienced here on SSS. It's high up there but I don't know if anything will ever match the time I sold an accordion to a gal who's search lead her to a topic I'd started here.

• Love 1

Just to add a footnote to this thread, dismantling a EWI4000s is not so straightforward.

The problem is a very vulnerable connector between the batttery box, contained at the bottom end of the instrument, and the PCB into which it plugs.

I know, I broke the one in my 4000s and it was rather difficult to mend it it. Unfortunately I didn't find the service manual, despite searching, until afterwards.

And, even when I did, the manual suggests removing the four screws that hold the PCB to the battery box.

They are inaccessible, and the pcb is soldered to the battery box so, even if one could remove the screws the PCB wouldn't be removable.

In 'EWI_Diagram02' (below), the lower part shows the dismantling of the electronics from the aluminium shrouding, downwards (E).

EWI_Diagram02.jpg.6267991b9f6e3c016731bcd888859679.jpg

Above, in the same diagram, you can see at (B) one needs to withdraw (A) from (C). This is not immediately obvious at the time.

Dismantling the whole electronics unit downwards overly stresses the connector and results in 'BrokenConnector'

BrokenConnector.JPG.7c6d9ad4d771469ac75e8a6074027c9c.JPG

which should look like this 'BatteryConnect'.

BatteryConnect.jpg.e331d3efce1b45b4ef729fddec987e9c.jpg

The surrounding plug has pulled free of the underlying, soldered to PCB, pins and bent them.

It is a five pin version of the connector 'je_2' that is involved.

je_2.jpg.6b6a6d11608630846dd0a11f20e5494c.jpg

So, one can complete the first stage of dismantling, but when it comes to removing the electronics from the casing, the battery box must be withdrawn horizontally first.

Although initially it doesn't seem possible to pull the box out of the casing, careful perserverance is essential, to avoid disaster.

After much searching I found the agent in the UK who was kind enough to send me a "sample" of the connector and the EWI is now fully functional.

JohnG.

• Thanks 1

Luckily the EWI4000s seems less prone to need opening it up, but this is gold information in case someone needs to do it.

While I was trying to get my EWI5000 working, I got a barely used 4000s a few weeks ago. Fortunately, it works flawlessly. But you never know when it may need some service. BTW, if you can share the service manual, send me a PM, as I use to work on all my music gear. Thanks!

Jose

• Cool 1

17 hours ago, JohnG11 said:

Just to add a footnote to this thread, dismantling a EWI4000s is not so straightforward.

You have officially gone above and beyond the call of duty. Great information, thanks!

• Cool 1

10 hours ago, Anderton said:

You have officially gone above and beyond the call of duty. Great information, thanks!

Thanks Craig, just in case anyone is tempted to do the same and inadvertently ends up with the same disater and anguish that they've just destroyed their wonderful EWI4Ks!

I must admit to being close to tears when I saw what I had done. Now, thankfully all sorted. (I know, clumsy old fool. Hey, less of the old please!)

BTW, I've forwarded the service manual to Jose and can do the same for anyone else who needs it. Just ask.

Q. Do you store any manuals on site, Craig, as the yamahamusicians.com forum does?

JohnG

2 hours ago, JohnG11 said:

Q. Do you store any manuals on site, Craig, as the yamahamusicians.com forum does?

Sorry, no, I do not. At this point, I'm not even sure I can find the original copy for all the manuals I've written...especially the ones that were stored on 8" floppy disks :)

• 3 months later...
On 11/17/2023 at 11:36 AM, John Sloan said:

Hi Folks, May I ask how was the ewi 5000 behaving when you turned it on. Mine is not booting and I wonder now if it could be as simple as the SD!?

Yes, that is one of the symptoms. Buf before opening it, be sure battery is charged and try a RESET

• 1 month later...

I've been messaged already by several people about getting those EWI 5000 files so I'm going to eliminate the need for going through me and just post the link to get those files here:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/o4bvc6l7f22t5ruem1cio/h?rlkey=llcia9me1eixm3cxypnh03xv0&dl=0

Leave a message on this thread if there's any problem. I wasn't really using that Dropbox account for anything else so I'll just leave those files up there and anyone who needs them should be able to download.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Was looking all over for these files  it all started with a bad battery,  then it would not play sound only the flashing user light.   I pulled the SD card out and checked it with my pc  all looked ok at first,  then I tried to move the data   but nothing but errors,  did a sector scan  and lots of bad sectors, then tried HDD regenerator it fixed some of it got most of the smaller files but not the big files.   so once again thanks !    

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChrisWP said:

Was looking all over for these files  it all started with a bad battery,  then it would not play sound only the flashing user light.   I pulled the SD card out and checked it with my pc  all looked ok at first,  then I tried to move the data   but nothing but errors,  did a sector scan  and lots of bad sectors, then tried HDD regenerator it fixed some of it got most of the smaller files but not the big files.   so once again thanks !    

Those original SD cards seem to be very prone to fail. Maybe is related with the battery getting depleted and, at certain voltages, causing havoc to them