Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The favorite IOS AUV3 synths and effects thread.

RABid

With Logic Pro coming to iPad, the value and need of good synths and effects has shot up. Mention a favorite, tell us what is special, and link a YouTube video.

I'll start with Nambu, and FM synth from IceWorks. It is getting frequent updates, 7 in the last 6 months. Not trying to be a FM-7 clone. It takes a modular approach and tosses in some subtractive options. You can use a matrix or pre-defined modulator layouts like you had on FM-7. You can also use shapes other than sine. There is an option to insert analog style oscillators and filters. Best of all, it will run on a M1 or M2 Mac. I have not tried that yet and do not know if it will load into anything but Logic for Mac. Not sure how AUV3 on IOS does on Mac. Here is a good video that demonstrates sound and shows how to program it.

• Like 2

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I'm kind of off the IOS wagon--I was using it live for b3 organ and was considering making it more central to my rig, but have actually gone the other direction--but I did buy a few apps.

Speaking of, the organ app I was using was B-3X.  I think it's the best-sounding organ I've ever used in software or hardware form other than a real b3 (it's been a long, long time since I played one!)

My overall favorite poly and mono synth is Zeeon.  It's fairly straightforward, iirc it's mostly like a Juno subtractive synth.  It sounds great (our Rush-loving drummer just couldn't believe my Subdivisions patch he was hearing was coming from a tablet!  Just kept shaking his head :D) though the built-in effects I don't think are the best.

Best-sounding mono synth I tried (might be poly too?) is Model 15.  Problem is that I didn't like programming it.
Model D was great too, and being basically a mini Moog was easy to program.  It let you play polyphonically as well!

I have Synthmaster, Poizone(sp?) and a couple others but the ones above stood out to me.  It's probably obvious, but I was after more vintage tones than some :)

• Like 1

I have Tal-uno-lx , sunrizer, and probably the ones mentioned above and probably 20 more I haven even cracked open. I'm not playing much synth right now.

On a daily basis I use B3x and GSI MiniOrchestra which I split into horns and strings via mutes. Ok I might use GSI Red Animal but frequently I just stop the leslie in B3x for the combo organ stuff.

FunMachine.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a couple of companies whose apps I buy automatically as soon as they are released. If you told me I could pick any single app maker for iOS use within AUM and that would be all I ever got to use, I would pick BLEASS and probably be perfectly happy. All of their effects and virtual instruments are usable, clear, and sound great.

Unfortunately, after a good ten years of use, a lot of my old standbys are showing their age. I still have a couple of 32-bit iOS machines laying around that I keep to run Alchemy Mobile and a few other ancient apps, but the real problem is that IAA is getting kind of long in the tooth and a lot of my favorite old apps haven't been moved to AUv3 yet. It doesn't mean I can't use them; they're just a lot more clunky when setting up in AUM or another host app. No multiple instances, you have to run the app itself in the background, CPU load is much higher. Thumbjam, Cosm, Refraktions, Launchpad, Gadget 2, Ephemeral City, Xynthesizr, TC-11, Audanika... bleah.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music