Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cool Music that Slips by Most

I like a lot of Charles Cornell's YouTube because he get into really cool music in cartoons, Anime, and video games.  Music the average person subconsciously gets into but  think it's because what they are seeing more than what they're hearing.    Being an OG some of the cartoons he's covering in this video are new to me but good music.  

• Like 2

The first example has a great groove to it. Do you really think it has been used "in literally 1000's of songs"? Can anyone name a few?

One thing I dislike in cartoon music is when it ignores the objective which is to honor the context and support the show. Instead, something is used which is meant to draw attention to itself.  Phil Collins received an Oscar because he couldn't stop being Phil Collins the hit machine and produced a Phil Collins hit instead of a theme for a kid's show......fail 😉

So many soundtracks to cartoons of the last couple of decades have been noise. I cannot follow them. Wander Over Yonder had things going for it. But some of the characters were voiced incoherently by sub-par voice actors. Jack McBrayer supplied the quintessential cartoon voice of Wander.

McBrayer was one of the few truly good actors in 30 Rock. That show starred Alec Baldwin, McBrayer and Tina Fey. Even though Tina Fey played her role in a Jerry Seinfeld manner not attempting to be much more than herself walking through her lines with a sort of wink at the audience the dynamic between her and Alec Baldwin's character carried the show. It was created by Tina Fey and seemed to be loaded with her less than adequate (B and C level acting) friends. Baldwin and McBrayer really stood out. A lot of people love to hate Alec Baldwin but he is a versatile actor. He and Fey clearly have gotten along as Baldwin has hosted or been a guest on SNL multiple times and she recruited him for 30 Rock. He was very funny in 30 Rock. He has also been good in dramatic roles.

7 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Do you really think it has been used "in literally 1000's of songs"? Can anyone name a few?

Songs that sampled the Amen break? I can believe that's in four digits:

- NWA: Straight Outta Compton is an obvious example. 

- Prodigy: Firestarter

- David Bowie: Little Wonder

Some report Oasis: D'You Know What I Mean, but I'm a little s[ck]eptical - Noel is the only songwriter credited. 

Many more out there, but I picked ones I could recognise. (I'm far away from the R'n'B/hip-hop world of sampled drum loops, but even I know about the Amen break).

Cheers, Mike.

• Thanks 1

The "As Told By Ginger" theme uses a classic I-II-IV hook often heard in Soul and Blues. It's pretty much the backbone of CeeLo Green's one hit wonder "F*** You" a couple of years ago. The tasty twist of IV9-VII9sus that got Cornell all excited is a harmonization technique (common tone) used a lot in Soul/Gospel.

Just now, D. Gauss said:

fyi, not music, per se, but the genius of this episode cannot be denied.

(episode starts at @10 mins in , but doesn't really unfold until about 13 mins in):

"the uploader has not made this video available in your country". What video were you linking to, D?

Cheers, Mike.

20 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

"the uploader has not made this video available in your country". What video were you linking to, D?

Cheers, Mike.

powerpuff girls. episode "meet the beat-alls."   most every dialog line is a lyric from a Beatles song.

• Thanks 1

This guy has got to be one of the most annoying presenters I've across.  His quick cut style while he is talking reminds me of those old Sensodyne toothpaste commercials.

The topic is very cool, but hard for me to get thru.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

On 6/23/2023 at 7:22 PM, o0Ampy0o said:

The first example has a great groove to it. Do you really think it has been used "in literally 1000's of songs"? Can anyone name a few?

More than just a few songs, and in fact an entire genre. Jungle/D&B rests on the Amen break as its foundation. Jungle producers start by cutting their teeth on intricate Amen beats in the the same way a developing bop player would shed Rhythm changes. There are dozens of instructional videos on YT that walk through rudimentary Amen edits. 

• Thanks 1
B/Midiboard/VirusKC/Matrix12/EX5/Maschine

On 6/26/2023 at 11:13 AM, EscapeRocks said:

This guy has got to be one of the most annoying presenters I've across.  His quick cut style while he is talking reminds me of those old Sensodyne toothpaste commercials.

The topic is very cool, but hard for me to get thru.

That pretty much sums up the vast majority of youtube presentations for me and why I rarely watch any.