Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Copyright trolls ? Visual claim to NASA public domain film footage ?

Was watching a youtuber talk about the horrors of being a youtuber. The problem used to be people copying and reposting videos to get a cut of monotizing. Now the problem is people copywriting your videos. He got hit when the money stopped coming in for his first viral video. When he contacted YouTube they told him that the money went to the person with the copywrite. He finally managed to get the copywrite transferred to him but it is just another headache of dealing with people looking to steal, anyway they can.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

This is why it's important to include a copyright notice, even if you don't file for copyright. You're presumed to be the owner unless you're challenged. If you show you had it out there first, and included a copyright notice, the other side won't (in theory) have a case...although they will probably have more well-paid lawyers than you do.

I doubt that Google cares about anything except Google. 

• Like 1

Agreed...the whole thing is a "might makes right" crock as far as I can tell, as is often the case in the courts. But IMO if you want to protect your material, a copyright is definitely advised. Fortunately it's still pretty inexpensive to do so.

This is more like showing up at your wedding in jeans and a T-shirt. Recognize what you are doing so you are not surprised with your pants around your ankles as in ignorantia juris non excusat. Running a business on the internet is a business with worldwide exposure.

7 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

This is more like showing up at your wedding in jeans and a T-shirt. Recognize what you are doing so you are not surprised with your pants around your ankles as in ignorantia juris non excusat. Running a business on the internet is a business with worldwide exposure.

I don't understand what you're saying. 

People are fraudulently claiming copyright on material they don't own, and YouTube is supporting the fraudsters. 

What does "jeans and a T-shirt" have to do with anything, or "ignorance of the law"? Copyright law is clearly ON HER SIDE. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

7 hours ago, analogika said:

I don't understand what you're saying. 

People are fraudulently claiming copyright on material they don't own, and YouTube is supporting the fraudsters. 

What does "jeans and a T-shirt" have to do with anything, or "ignorance of the law"? Copyright law is clearly ON HER SIDE. 

I quoted that and used the T-shirt analogy applying to ignorance of what you are doing while setting up a business on Youtube. No one as yet has described a case where the law did not prevail. The case cited went in favor of the true copyright owner. As for having "might" implying that overrides the law, it only makes certain that you have the resources to deliver a presentation which convinces a judge and/or jury it does within the legal requirement as defined by the law. Operating a business which has worldwide exposure is more susceptible to sophisticated crime than having a neighborhood paper route. There is a point where you have to accept some responsibility for what happens to you.

23 hours ago, RABid said:

...He finally managed to get the copywrite transferred to him but it is just another headache of dealing with people looking to steal, anyway they can.