Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond SKPro non-organ evaluation

1 hour ago, sagetunes said:

The Rhodes is garbage. The Wurli is garbage. The CP70 is decent. The clav is dogshit (couldn't easily figure out how to get expression pedal to control wha effect). The nav/combi thing is an absolute disgrace, unforgivable.

The Nord E6 is much better in those areas.

I’ll just say I disagree with all of this, not to suggest that Sagetunes’ opinions are wrong in some objective way, but that you do probably need to audition the board yourself.  The amp drive sims help the EPs, and you have a 3-band semi parametric EQ for each sound.  The Wurly gets me compliments, the clav is fine, I wouldn’t use the Rhodes on a jazz quartet gig but it’s serviceable in a mix.  

The navigation/combi interface is fine if you spend just a little time getting used to the layout, which is quite similar to a Roland workstation.  The SKpro gets knocked a lot for the interface (noticeably on FB groups) because people who gravitate towards clonewheels seem to be expecting a more WYSIWYG no-menu-diving-please interface.  It does way more than that would allow for both intern terms of sound editing and MIDI.

I briefly had an Electro 5 and Nord’s Rhodes are quite good but I found the rest of it unsatisfying and sold it after a couple of gigs.

YMMV

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals