Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

last-minute recommendations, RCF speakers!

4 hours ago, Stokely said:

Just to wrap this up, fired up my new Yamaha DXR10 today.  I'll be setting it up with my Key Largo later, but for the first test I just went right out of ch. 1 of my Nord Stage 3.  Volume about half up on the keyboard, which is where I have it at gigs.   I plugged into the 1/4" input #2, turned speaker volume up to 3 out of 10.   It has a slight fan noise when you turn it on, I don't think I'd want to use a pair of these as studio monitors (not that I would anyway).

It about took my head off. Holy hell do these get loud.  Once the KL is hooked up, it would probably be louder still.   Suffice it to say volume will not be an issue with this.  First gig with it is next weekend, subbing with a band with rather rudimentary monitoring and where I'll probably need to be communicating with the band leader, who calls out songs without a list (ie, no in-ears).

It sounds a tad mid-forward "boxy" compared to headphones but so does every monitor I've ever used, the best of which til now is probably the QSC 10, or maybe that RCF supplied at a gig that pushed my interest in the brand.   I bought the cover which can stay on during use and which should preserve the speaker nicely (if I ever want to sell, upgrade etc).   I'm feeling pretty happy with the purchase, especially between the 2-year Sweetwater warranty and 7-year Yamaha warranty.

Did you just buy one for mono?

Yep.  I'm kind of reconciled at this point that I need to dial things in with mono (in-ears or otherwise).

I can work out ways to monitor in stereo even if the PA is mono--and other than the band's PA, every single sound company and house PA we've used is mono--but then I get comments like "the piano wasn't loud enough" when in stereo it was fine.  Or that other patches are going up and down, the rest of the band monitors in mono and they get frustrated with my patches.  Some of this is inevitable with a dynamic band that plays at lower volumes, but some of it is definitely due to volume/timbre changes when the sounds are in mono.

Basically, I want to hear what others are hearing, so that if something pops out I can take note and adjust.   The biggest bummer is piano, although I'm finding the White Grand on the Nord isn't that awful in mono compared to my other options.  Synths and organ fare much better.

Also, this is going to act as a wedge probably more than just a keyboard amp, and unless I'm using my Behringer P16M with a Behringer mixer, my monitor feed from FOH is going to be mono (again, no venue has ever offered me a stereo monitor feed other than one place that lets me use Ultranet on their X32.)