Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP George Winston

Mentioned in this forum because of his love for Hawaiian slack key guitar & support for many of the lesser known slack key players. I wasn't really a fan of George Winston’s music, but I worked with him as sound engineer a number of times at Royce Hall, the performing arts center at UCLA, and he was a very good, decent human being. My jazz buddies mocked him, but I had a lot of respect for his integrity & commitment to his music. He had much wider interests than just the new age stuff he was popular for. After each gig he would stay at the hall & practice all night until morning, working on what he wanted to play the next day. A serious artist in a genre which I usually associate with people who take the easy way out musically. He had a whole lot more harmonic sophistication in his music than 99% of those who populate the new age ranks. He was a huge fan of Professor Longhair & always threw some New Orleans stride tunes into his gigs. Plus he was a very accomplished harmonica & Hawaiian slack key guitarist. Sorry to hear of his passing, he was a good man.

• Like 5
Scott Fraser

I have long associated George Winston and his music with Michael Hedges, David Torn, Will Ackerman, and Alex De Grassi; as well as the likes of Michael Manring and Mark Isham... all artists among the Windham Hill Records stable at one time or another. Whether he liked it or not, he was and will be largely thought of as a 'New Age' musical artist by many people.

1 hour ago, Scott Fraser said:

Mentioned in this forum because of his love for Hawaiian slack key guitar & support for many of the lesser known slack key players.

Indeed! From Wikipedia:

"Winston also produced recordings of Hawaiian slack-key guitarists for his own record label, Dancing Cat Records, including artists Keola Beamer, Sonny Chillingworth, Leonard Kwan, Dennis Kamakahi, Ray Kane, Cyril Pahinui, Bla Pahinui, Martin Pahinui, Ledward Kaapana, Georg Kuo, Ozzie Kotani, George Kahumoku, Jr., Moses Kahumoku, Cindy Combs, and others."

• Like 6

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

6 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Winston also produced recordings of Hawaiian slack-key guitarists for his own record label, Dancing Cat Records, including artists Keola Beamer, Sonny Chillingworth, Leonard Kwan, Dennis Kamakahi, Ray Kane, Cyril Pahinui, Bla Pahinui, Martin Pahinui, Ledward Kaapana, Georg Kuo, Ozzie Kotani, George Kahumoku, Jr., Moses Kahumoku, Cindy Combs, and others."

RIP George Winson.

You worked with some slack-key royalty. 

• Like 3

Jennifer S.