Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Magic Three

My "Fenders" are all builds, that's what I LOVE about Leo's timeless designs. The "Real" Fender guitar that I used to own and really miss is a sunburst Electric XII, fantastic 12 string solid body. When I was a kid, you could buy boogered Fenders at the pawn shop for around $70. Later they went up a bit. I've owned a 52 Tele, a 59 Strat, a 62 Jazzmaster, a 65 Tele and a pre CBS (don't remember the date) Jazz bass. The guitars all had 7.5" radius fretboards, I don't care for that, it requires much higher action if you do the 3-5 half tone stretches that I do. Flatter boards work better for me. 

I was a guitar tech for decades, you name it, I've fixed it or boogered it. Current stash in the photo below - L to R top row:

Johnson 3/4 Strat (22.5" scale") stock with EMG passive pickups. Goodwill find, $30. My favorite Nashville tuned guitar, great for recording. 

Peavey Fury Bass, essentially a P-Bass with a slim (Jazz) neck. EMG P bass pickup installed.

Strat build, Squier body (love the color, it's thinner than standard too), Warmoth 1 7/8" wide Fatback neck, I scalloped the fretboard. The neck is a true lefty, I painted dots on the top side. eBay auction so it went lower because fewer lefties. Hipshot locking tuners, EMG SA in neck and bridge, 3 way switch, EMG SPC (Mid-Boost) center knob, volume lower knob, Schaller strap locks. My favorite gig guitar, love the neck.

L to R, Middle row:

Tele, body was an eBay find - 1/4" book matched walnut top on a pine body. Pickup routes were there but no holes were drilled and the edges were a bit rough. I made it nice, put a Warmoth 1 3/4" Fatback neck on it with Sperzel locking tuners. EMG Tele pickups, brass hardware, EMG SPC instead of tone control. I've got this set up for a Fishman Triple Play pickup so I can play all sorts of plugins. Fun! 

Yamaha Nylon string, not a Fender. Oh well...

L to R, Bottom row:

Tele with a Warmoth baritone neck, EMG Strat pickup in the neck, EMG 81 hot rod hum bucker in bridge. Non-Vibrato Strat bridge, swamp ash body with cheesy orange stain and polyurethane finish. This used to have the neck that is on the walnut Tele next to it, headstock is orange as well. Was my main gigger for a long time. 

P Bass with a Warmoth Jazz neck, ebony fretboard. I pulled the frets and filled the slots with white, fretless bass. EMG P-Bass pickup, little pick guard is to cover the hole for the J pickup since I didn't like the sound much. Regular volume and tone controls. Strap is screwed on with washers, has been that way for decades. Back when this had frets, I played bass for Bo Diddley for one gig - fun!!!

Alvarez 8 string baritone acoustic electric, stock. 

I've got another Strat build in the works too. 

IMG_20230530_191416.thumb.jpg.62bac55cf9fddfcc044b04d51cc85d7a.jpg

• Like 5
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

8 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Old Music Guy has some sweet looking Fenders no doubt. 

@KuruPrionz Thank you for the kind words. They are truly appreciated. Looking at your work, and I can only imagine that you've forgotten more than I'll ever know.

I do know that we have one thing in common, and that's the love of working with our imagination, working with our hands and hearts, and crafting something beautiful that we can be proud of. 

I live in New Hampshire, about 10 miles from the last Shaker village in existence. Sadly, it is no more. A quote, that resonates with me:

“The peculiar grace of a shaker chair is due to the fact that it was made by someone capable of believing that an angel might come and sit on it.”

― Thomas Merton

💗

• Like 2
  • Love 1

What?

34 minutes ago, Old Music Guy said:

@KuruPrionz Thank you for the kind words. They are truly appreciated. Looking at your work, and I can only imagine that you've forgotten more than I'll ever know.

I do know that we have one thing in common, and that's the love of working with our imagination, working with our hands and hearts, and crafting something beautiful that we can be proud of. 

I live in New Hampshire, about 10 miles from the last Shaker village in existence. Sadly, it is no more. A quote, that resonates with me:

“The peculiar grace of a shaker chair is due to the fact that it was made by someone capable of believing that an angel might come and sit on it.”

― Thomas Merton

💗

That's awesome!! I'm winding down the guitar tech deal, still have some of my own projects that have been sitting literally for decades, I put them aside and worked on customer guitars. Not any more, I want to finish of my own that remain and PLAY!!!! It's a new chapter, I'm working on an acoustic solo act, just me singin' an twangin'.

I've done the band scene, played thousands of gigs, had fun bla bla bla but I'm tired of loud and I'm done with hearing music that is lacking in dynamics and (especially) tempo changes. 

I've got a backlog of songs that need to be recorded as well, plenty to stay busy. Hope all is well! Cheers, Kuru

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I spent 35+ years working in electronics. I was something that I really did enjoy. Still do. 

I stopped into my local music store a month or so ago to have my white Strat set up. Long story short, Chris, the manager, asked me if I would take a look at an old dBx 160XT compressor he had laying in a junk pile. I took it home, found the problem, fixed it, and got my setup gratis. He told me at the time that he just got a Peavey 6505 Combo in that was in need of some help. I wasn't really sure that I wanted to deal with it. I've been retired now for about 3 years, pushing 69+2, and pretty set in my ways. 

Well, I popped in today for some strings, and he asked me again if I would give it a look. And, damn if I didn't say yes. 

Thinking about what @KuruPrionz said about winding down, now I find myself winding up. Strange world, stranger times. 

(He also asked if I would take a look at an Oberheim analog OB-SX synth. 👎)

• Like 3

What?