Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Unexpected NAD!! 65 Amps Empire head PROTOTYPE!!

Caevan O’Shite

I unexpectedly had the opportunity to get this 65 Amps Empire head- and it's even the original prototype. Dan Boul, designer of the amp and 65 Amps co-founder and head, stated: "That’s a build sample so it’s been scrutinized extremely hard and, unless it’s been modified, it should be the “perfect” build."

The 65 Amps Empire has been the pinnacle of my "If you could have ANY amp" dream-amp list; I've wanted one for years, but something always came up. And now I've got the prototype!

It is OUTSTANDING. Like three different era vintage Marshall amps, but at 22 watts- with a "Bump" boost that bypasses the tone stack, AND  Master Voltage scheme that is VERY effective and useful for taming the output volume.

4rz5r7M.jpg

2cZCEKl.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

2 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Looks like a very cool amp. I've always fascinated by 65 amps. It should pair very nicely with your Tele went it's finished. What are going to use for a speaker cabinet, 112, 212 or something else?

For now, I've got an Egnater Rebel-112X closed-back 1x12 cab, loaded with a Celestion/Egnater Elite-80. It can easily handle all the power that the Empire can throw at it, and it actually goes with the amp better than I expected it to. It's rather heavy with the lows and low-mids, which the Empire isn't short on...

I'll eventually get a 65 Amps Blue Line 'ported back' 2x12, loaded with a Celestion G12H30 and a Celestion Alnico Blue. I'll also get a Fuchs/Feiten closed-back Vintage 212, loaded with the same speakers, when I can.

The Telebastard will get finished! It's been sidelined for too long. I wasn't even looking for another amp, but the opportunity to get this very special amp that I had wanted very badly for years practically hopped into my lap- and if I hadn't bought it, there was someone else intending to buy it who missed it by minutes when I made the purchase! I unknowingly bought it out from under 'em...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, desertbluesman said:

Good luck with the new acquisition Caev. Rock it amigo.........

Thanks! Rocking it, I am.  :rawk:  It's a pure pleasure- and it seems ridiculous that I not only now have an Empire head just like I had wanted for YEARS, it's the the very same prototype that I first saw and heard in demos and webcasts... Too cool. Just LAUGHING.  :D

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Congrats, I'm not familiar with 65 amps but it sounds like they are good stuff!!!!!

Thanks! Seriously good stuff, made by pros for pros. Their amps were all designed and made with stage and studio necessities in mind, based on classic vintage amps that are less and less practical as time goes by. This amp gives three different classic vintage Marshall voicings, quite authentic sounding- but at a much more manageable 22 watts PLUS their exclusive, proprietary "Master Voltage" scheme and control. Then there's the "BUMP" Mode that bypasses the tone-stack, boosting mids and gain...

I'm far from a pro but I aspire a bit and I think that I have particularly discriminating and personal tastes, wants and needs... I doubt I'd ever even consider looking for another Marshall-esque amp. It's a doozy and then some! And super cool that it's the original prototype that I was diggin' in videos and webcasts...

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

19 hours ago, Larryz said:

@Caevan O’Shite  Congrats on finally getting your dreams fulfilled with the acquisition of the 65 Amps you have been lusting for!!  😎👍

Thanks, Larry!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Caevan O’Shite,

Congrats on a great amp. I have an empire that I'm looking to move, but I can't find a reasonable comparison to gauge market value. Can you give me a ballpark on what I might ask for this amp these days? It is in perfect condition in a custom coral pink tolex that (per Dan Boul) was made for brad paisley for a tour; paisley changed his mind on the color, so the amp never toured with him. Thanks for the assistance.

Ed

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 10/15/2023 at 9:29 PM, Ed Klon said:

Caevan O’Shite,

Congrats on a great amp. I have an empire that I'm looking to move, but I can't find a reasonable comparison to gauge market value. Can you give me a ballpark on what I might ask for this amp these days? It is in perfect condition in a custom coral pink tolex that (per Dan Boul) was made for brad paisley for a tour; paisley changed his mind on the color, so the amp never toured with him. Thanks for the assistance.

Ed

Whoa! I apologize, I never saw your post till now, searching for something else. I hope you made out well!

On 5/27/2023 at 9:52 PM, surfergirl said:

What are going to use for a speaker cabinet, 112, 212 or something else?

I got a used 65 Amps Blue Line semi-open-back 2x12, loaded with a Celestion G12H 30 and a Celestion Alnico Gold. The Gold is rated for 50 watts, whereas the Blue is nominally, conservatively rated for 15 watts.

It's fantastic! Sounds great for clean tones, but especially awesome for cranked, overdriven "KerrRRRAAANGG!!" When cranked and really spanked, the Empire and this cab and these speakers deliver a wonderful growl with the high notes of chords whip-cracking like lightning. This amp and cab beg to be dimed; the amp's 22 watts and Master Voltage control make that much more viable and usable.

I see "used" here as translating to "speakers broken in", a very good thing.

Here's that cab, a few of my pedals and another 65 Amps head that I have, a Producer EL (EL34), which uses a special, very unusual Low-Voltage/High-Current design that makes Output-Tues last around 25 years(!!):

Uk1EIJs.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

aw yeah we love to see it   😎

When I can, I'll make a recorded example of both the Empire (the 'prototype', Ser# "Sample 1", the one with the black knobs), and the Producer EL (the one with the 'cream' knobs); maybe a video, maybe just audio.

That 2x12 cab is great! Its wood and construction are top-notch. The pairing of the Celestion G12H 30 Anniversary and the Celestion Alnico Gold is a winning combination. The cab is surprisingly lighter than one might expect, too, yet feels very solid.

That said, being an open-back cab, the 'knock', 'thump and 'djent' of a closed-back cab would be welcome. When I add a closed-back 1x12 Egnater cab in parallel with the 65 cab, loaded with a Celestion-made, Egnater-branded Elite 80 (a Celestion Classic Lead 80 with even more low-end), it really shovels in a lot more bass and added 'knock'.

Looks like this from the back (photo grabbed from the 'net; the previous photo from the front is mine):

7JvyOCz.jpg

• Like 4