Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Tina Turner

Nothing new to add, but reminiscing so much as I read and watch the tributes here. Tina Turner's presence has been a big part of my life's soundtrack. And her stand for what is right and just continues to inspire. What she brought to the stage is epic: nothing held back, and she left it all out there for us. 

Rest in power for now, Tina Turner; but your light will continue to shine brilliantly. 

• Love 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

A colleague told me that even in her 50s, she could outpace the rest of her band and dancers for sheer energy, stamina and work ethic. RIP

(I must admit to being a bit tired of Proud Mary, and never liking The Best - although I recently learned it's a Bonnie Tyler cover. Thankfully, there are plenty of deeper cuts in her catalogue to remember and appreciate). 

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

Two things:

1. I remember the keyboard players she had in her band in the early 80's. One was a shirtless Conan The Barbarian clone in leather pants, who did synth lines and also played the sax. The other guy, prob. the music director was a African American boogie woogie piano guy who absolutely kicked some serious butt.

2. In the '90's, Hanes panty hose sponsored her tour. The most perfect sponsor for an artist if there ever was one.

RIP Tina 

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

5 hours ago, kpl1228 said:

1. I remember the keyboard players she had in her band in the early 80's. One was a shirtless Conan The Barbarian clone in leather pants, who did synth lines and also played the sax.

IMG_1015.webp.eda96572bfd5d62326bdea132a96d38b.webp

Tim Capello

I always enjoyed watching this madman perform with Tina. Excellent sax player.

• Haha 1

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

2 hours ago, kpl1228 said:

1. I remember the keyboard players she had in her band in the early 80's...The other guy, prob. the music director was a African American boogie woogie piano guy who absolutely kicked some serious butt.

Kenny Moore was Tina Turner's pianist back in those days.  He passed away at 45 years old back in the 1990s.😎

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

5 hours ago, Moonglow said:

Tim Capello

I always enjoyed watching this madman perform with Tina. Excellent sax player.

When she sang "Can't Stand the Rain," he punctuated it like a master. It takes a lot to stand next to a rarity like Tina and hold your own.

• Like 1

I have no magic powers concerning dentistry or cases involving probate, but my Mellotron epics set Jupiter a-quiver.

😭RIP Tina ....  Considering her trajectory through Ike as bad as that was for her... a pretty big piece of modern American music heritage passed with her .. if you factor in her stage performance/vocals and Ike's writing and arranging going back to '54 ... and in terms of pure 'show' .... he did write Rocket 88... and was considered  one of the initial purveyors and inventors of rock and she was married to him, that's American music history in the can... her performance connection to Mick's thing was/is real.... always sad to see sources pass..  mark was left though, what an unforgettable woman..  

• Like 1

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122