Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has anyone successfully mapped Studiologic Numa X Piano encoders / buttons to their DAW?

Hello.

Just wondering if you have successfully mapped Studiologic Numa X Piano encoders / buttons to your DAW? I contacted Studiologic and they said enabling the Numa X Piano as a DAW controller is something they would consider for a future update. In the meantime, I'm wondering if this keyboard's encoders / buttons could be be mapped to Logic using MIDI learn? I know I can use something like a Korg nanokontrol for the meantime, but it would be good to not need this extra bit of gear to add, and avoid buying in the first place. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you say 'mapped to logic", I assume you're meaning that Studiologic will give it a menu item as a single function to map all the controllers to standard DAW functions, like many workstations/synths?

I haven't delved deeply into extensive controlling of the DAW for the Numa Piano yet, but what I can tell you is that you can already individually map with midi learn, all the front panel encoders/buttons individually. As a stage piano/controller, the functionality is upfront, meaning even if you are running onboard sounds, moving any of knobs etc will attach to a DAW function using midi learn. They seem to transmit midi simultaneously.

One of the things that appeals to me about the Numa Piano, is that other than my Kronos, it too has a joystick controller, rather than just wheels. I like being able to attach the joystick to vst  x-y controllers, and the midi learn function captures them. The only thing I have to mindful to do, is to disable the mapping for pitchbend in the vst, as the x axis will simultaneous change pitch as well,

Hope this scant info helps a bit.

Some one else may be able to offer a bit more depth if they've sorted it out to more detail.

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

I haven’t found a single MIDI CC value that corresponds to the encoders (regardless of which menu/mode on the Numa you’re in). However MIDI CC are sent when turning the encoder for a particular function. For instance when I have external MIDI zones on my Numa, and when I’m in the main screen on the Numa, turning the encoders sends volume changes on different MIDI channels which I have mapped through MIDI learn to control corresponding Logic Pro track volume. I use this for live playing a lot. 

Thanks to both of you for your feedback. Have you managed to apply buttons to MIDI functions such as play/ stop/ rec? Have you tried mapping the main dial to the playhead in your DAW?